LCD TV disconnects ... (1 Viewer)

Jim T

Portal Member
September 14, 2007
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3
Windows Version: XP sp 2

This is probably not a MP related problem, but maybe someone has had a similar thing and can offer some insights ...

I have a 26" LCD TV connected to my MP computer. I have it connected using a DVI to HDMI cable. I was originally using this set up with XBMC and Ubuntu linux. No problem. But XBMC itself was proving much less satisfying than MP so I came back home!

Sadly, when I got back to using Windoze, I have a bug with the TV. It is fine as long as it has focus. For example, if I turn on the TV and set it to HDMI1, then boot up, all is well. BUT, if I boot up and then turn on the TV later, it claims there is no valid video feed.

Similarly, if I am watching a show in MP and then switch the input on the TV to anything else (AUX, DVD, etc) and then try to come back to the PC input (HDMI1), I get the same "invalid input". The only cure seems to be a reboot.

Is this just a windows bug? Is there some way around it?
thanks,

Jim

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I was going to suggest SP1 for Windows 7, but then I see you are still on XP.

I don't know if there are any tricks to getting HDMI more stable in XP. W7 SP1 fixes some issues with just this kind of thing.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Jim T

Portal Member
    September 14, 2007
    Yeah, sadly I can't move on to Win 7 on this machine yet. My desktop is win 7 and I am loving it. But I have to baby my Media machine along with the old stuff for a while yet. I may just have to put up with the glitches. Thought it was worth asking though! Tons of experience in this forum!!

Jim T

Jim T

Portal Member
    September 14, 2007
    radeon 6900 series ... I forget the exact model. I could check that .... if it makes a difference.

Tried setting the ATI Catalyst to force TV when missing, but that doesn't seem to change anything ....

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You are one step ahead of me.... I can't even get ATI catalyst to run at all on my new system at the moment :oops:

I have a workaround that worked for me with NVIDIA, but not with ATI :sorry:

ced007

Portal Pro
    July 7, 2008
    Haute-Savoie
    Home Country
    France France
    A few questions:
    1. Did you try with another HDMI port and do you have the same problem? Also if you have a second DVI port with your GPU did you try it too? Just to be sure that's it's not hardware related.
    2. I'm not familiar with ATI Catalyst settings (I don't have an ATI card since a long time now) but if there is any "multiple display" option you should verify that it's correctly turned-off.

Jim T

Portal Member
    September 14, 2007
    Yep! I tried both of my TVs HDMI ports and my poor old card just has a DVI and VGA output. I will double check the ATI Catalyst settings, (or I should say quadruple check, I think I've been over them three times already!!) to be sure of the multiple display option. Thanks for the input!

Jim T

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom