LED TVs (1 Viewer)

Dordo

Portal Pro
December 3, 2004
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with LED Televisions. I have heard nothing but good things but the biggest thing putting me off at this stage is the price. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me? The only cheap ones I have found so far here in Australia are these Buy LED TVs Online - Vision Digital just wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction on this one.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a 55" Samsung LED LCD TV. I have nothing than good to say about this TV. It may be a bit more expensive, but a lot more energy efficient. This TV is extremely thin and light.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Just remember that LED TV's are still LCDs, the backlight (well, technically is sidelight but...) is just replaced from a cold-cathode to a strip of LEDs.

Picture quality would be just the same with regular backlight, but LEDs allow for thinner screens and lower power-consumption. In picture quality you will not see any improvement in quality (besides the improvement the rest of the TV may be compared with traditional LCDs).

LG has recently shipped a series of "LED" TVs that also has really good picture, so the best thing you can do is visit a real shop and see the TVs you consider in real life. Remember to turn of the bling-bling settings the shops probably use ;)

I would NEVER buy a TV online without seeing it IRL.

skyliner2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2008
    near munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: LED TVs

Well, I think there are a few more things to say about LED TVs. Of course it are simple LCD-TVs with a different kind of backlight.

Actually there a 2 types of LED-Backlight. Most common is the "sidelight". The LEDs are located at the side of the LCD Panel. Some (more expensive and thicker LED-TVs) use real LED BACKlight. In this case, a lot more LEDs are located behind the LCD Panel. Why?

Well, one big advantage beside the lower power consumption of LED TVs is the better contrast. Okay, the contrast of the LCD panel is not better than in a common LCD TV. But LEDs are capable to dim. So they dim down when you watch a dark scene in a movie and light up in a bright scene. This makes you see a deeper black in dark scenes.

At this point you see the difference between sidelight and backlight. Sidelight LEDs can only dim the backlight intensity for the whole image. So, of course, bright details in a dark scene get become darker, too.
    With a real LED backlight, only dark areas in dark scenes get dimmed. The LED's behind a bright spot in a dark scene stay bright. This gives you a really better contrast. Of course, there's a disadvantage, too: The backlight LEDs are connected and dimmed as clusters. So no single LED is dimmed or bright, but a cluster. So you will see some "glow" about small, bright objects in a dark background, if the object is smaller than the LED cluster behind it.

At the moment, there is no backlight LED TV, which can control every single backlight led seperately according to the image displayed on the screen.

IMHO, LED TV's are a good choice to save energy, especially at big screen sizes. But the better contrast they offer is nothing else than cheating your eyes. I'm waiting for the upcoming release of OLED-TV's. :)

BTW, excuse my poor english, please. I'm out of practise :p

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: AW: LED TVs

Well, I think there are a few more things to say about LED TVs. Of course it are simple LCD-TVs with a different kind of backlight.

Actually there a 2 types of LED-Backlight. Most common is the "sidelight". The LEDs are located at the side of the LCD Panel. Some (more expensive and thicker LED-TVs) use real LED BACKlight. In this case, a lot more LEDs are located behind the LCD Panel. Why?

Well, one big advantage beside the lower power consumption of LED TVs is the better contrast. Okay, the contrast of the LCD panel is not better than in a common LCD TV. But LEDs are capable to dim. So they dim down when you watch a dark scene in a movie and light up in a bright scene. This makes you see a deeper black in dark scenes.

At this point you see the difference between sidelight and backlight. Sidelight LEDs can only dim the backlight intensity for the whole image. So, of course, bright details in a dark scene get become darker, too.
    With a real LED backlight, only dark areas in dark scenes get dimmed. The LED's behind a bright spot in a dark scene stay bright. This gives you a really better contrast. Of course, there's a disadvantage, too: The backlight LEDs are connected and dimmed as clusters. So no single LED is dimmed or bright, but a cluster. So you will see some "glow" about small, bright objects in a dark background, if the object is smaller than the LED cluster behind it.

At the moment, there is no backlight LED TV, which can control every single backlight led seperately according to the image displayed on the screen.

IMHO, LED TV's are a good choice to save energy, especially at big screen sizes. But the better contrast they offer is nothing else than cheating your eyes. I'm waiting for the upcoming release of OLED-TV's. :)

BTW, excuse my poor english, please. I'm out of practise :p

I'm waiting for OLED too, but currently the biggest one (consumer available anyways) is 15" :D

If only single-LED backlighted TV's were possible, but I guess that would be a technical step on a big scale - a FullHD TV has 2.073.600 pixels :)

skyliner2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2008
    near munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: LED TVs

I'm waiting for OLED too, but currently the biggest one (consumer available anyways) is 15" :D

I know :confused: But i like my Panasonic Viera Plasma 42", although it doesn't have full hd resolution and I hope it will work for a few more years. Development in OLED technics goes on fast. Maybe in 3 or 4 years there will be affordable OLED TVs in 50" size available. :)
    I think, Sony & Co were able to produce them right now - but they invested too much in LCD and LED, so they have to sell a lot of those devices first before they throw the next generation of TVs onto the market.

If only single-LED backlighted TV's were possible, but I guess that would be a technical step on a big scale - a FullHD TV has 2.073.600 pixels :)

I didn't mean a single led for every pixel. Actually the led's are connected to clusters of about 10x10cm. There are about 200-300 led's used in backlight led-tv's. If every single led of those 300 led's was able to fade, the glow around small bright objects could be minimized.

guyver_dio

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    There were a tonne of problems with Samsung LEDs when they first came on the market (a common issue when any company tries to be the first on the scene). But I think the technology and reliability is just like any other tv now. Don't own one myself yet but I see them all the time, the main thing I've noticed is the improvement in colour contrasts (which might give you the impression that the overall quality is better). Everything else is basically the same though. There is the bonus advantage to save power but this isn't really a big motivator for me, I didn't think my tv/monitors contributed much to my power consumption to begin with.

From what I've read, LCDs and LEDs seem to be around the same ballpark as far as power consumption goes, and depending on brand, model and settings, some lcds can be lower then some leds. Certainly not as big of a leap as plasma to lcd. I don't feel the need to replace my lcd tv yet but if you're in the market for a new tv I'd say LEDs are a good way to go.

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    regarding LCD/LED TVs picture quality:
    Please compare an LED TV of your choice with a plasma TV of a similar price range. My personal opinion is that the picture of a plasma TV is much more natural and more convenient for the eyes than an LED/LCD. I don't want to start the discussion here of which system is better. I simply want to give the advice to compare both and decide afterwards, what's better for you.

regarding power consumption:
    There is no big difference anymore between plasma and LCD.

Regs

henning

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I agree, I prefer plasma displays. However I really love my Hitachi LED backlit LCD simply because it is so thin and light :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom