Lets play: Who wants to help me pick out a Shuttle SFF case? (1 Viewer)

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
Ok, I checked the settings on the machine using the 9100 IGP.

I have the Video Renderer set to Video Mixing Renderer 9 - Renderless just like the DX9 card in my other system. And it's working. Soooo... there are several possible reasons.
1. It's not actually a DX9 mode.
2. Media Portal might not actually be using that mode.
3. The drivers have some support of DX9... by intention or mistake I don't know.

I know Media Portal accepted the setting and is using it because it fixed my video issues. All I know is everything in MP works fine.

If you want an integrated IGP with real DX9 support there is only one. That's in the new chipset for the Athlon 64.

Sorry for any confusion... I've been building or planning on building too many systems at the same time.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
I checked and that mode is definately DX9 only. And I doubt MP is the culprit... that means ATi included some DX9 support for the 9100. I just hope they don't take it away. If anyone has a 9200 I'd like to know if they can run in renderless mode as well.

Just in case I'm keeping this version of the ATi drivers.

Obviously that part of DX9 does not require special hardware support above what a DX8.1 card like the 9200 has.
It's either just a driver related thing or because the ATi chip does have some special video features that might be above what are required for DX8.1.... and just happen to work great for this DX9 mode. I hope it stays that way..

In case anyone can't repeat my success... this is what I did.
The IGP has custom drivers on the ATi website. I updated those but I also downloaded and ran the update for the standard Radeon drivers. All I did was try to turn on that feature and Voila. Worked great.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
I think I should point out a few things here.
I am using a 2.4GHz Celeron D and 512MB of RAM in the machine this is running on.
This may only work on the 9100IGP and by doing what I did with the versions of the drivers I used..
I AM NOT currently using a TV tuner card... so if MP depends on some other DX9 mode for that... I don't know if it will work or not.

If people can't get it to work on current drivers I'll try sharing the drivers I'm using with EMULE and post ED2K links.

T

theweaselboy

So it would seem that the AMD based box is my only real choice. Does the "integrated geforce 4 MX" Truly support dx 9, or is it some other version that has the same name and not the same capabilities?

WHY wont shuttle make an amd box that has an external PSU!?

grrr.

Anyone see any issues with using the SN41G2 V3? Or the V2? The only difference between the v3 and v2 that i can see is that the v3 has integrated graphics, and the v2 does not. Also the V2 is $204US whereas the V3 is somewhere around $270US. I cant tell from the literature if the V3's geforce is passively cooled, which would be a big deal in the silence department.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far!!

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
theweaselboy said:
So it would seem that the AMD based box is my only real choice. Does the "integrated geforce 4 MX" Truly support dx 9, or is it some other version that has the same name and not the same capabilities?
The Geforce4 MX is not a DX9 chip.

maxtrash

Portal Pro
November 27, 2004
Tilburg, Netherlands
theweaselboy said:

WHY wont shuttle make an amd box that has an external PSU!?

grrr.

Anyone see any issues with using the SN41G2 V3? Or the V2? The only difference between the v3 and v2 that i can see is that the v3 has integrated graphics, and the v2 does not. Also the V2 is $204US whereas the V3 is somewhere around $270US. I cant tell from the literature if the V3's geforce is passively cooled, which would be a big deal in the silence department.

Thanks everyone for all your help so far!!
bought a SN41G2V2 for the parents of my girlfriend. Very nice looking, reasonably quiet pc. The V2 does have integrated graphics, I think the only major difference is that the V3 supports serial ata (SATA) whereas the V2 doesn't. The V2 does have the silentx power supply (which the V1 doesn't).
The SN41G2V2 also has the MCP-T Soundstorm technology (dolby digital encoding) which is very nice for a htpc I think.
Personally I use a G2MX400 which I think is slower than the integrated IGP in the shuttle. Works fine for me.

T

theweaselboy

Holy Crap. I just checked my video card and found it is a geforce 4 5200 FX
An FX! I bought it at a computer show as an MX. I never even bothered to check. HA.
So i guess that would mean that i should buy a case w/o fancy schmancy integrated graphics, because i have what i need right here, right? HMMMMM.

Time to re-evaluate all the cases, again.

Oh, and by the way, i tried the intervideo codecs mentioned earlier, and they didnt work. I suppose i will have to wait until the next release before it works properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom