Completed Little ION HTPC (1 Viewer)

Shurik

Portal Pro
December 13, 2006
Alberta
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well, I've been using MP for few years now and had couple of HTPCs before - my first one was a regular Mini-Tower from Antec and then I got a SilverStone case, but I always hated all these big and ugly cases. It actually boggles my mind when I look through all the cases that are "HTPC oriented" - ugly, huge with lots of useless stuff (who came up with a few inch touchscreen LCD into the case??? ). As if those people who design them have no idea what HTPC is suppose to be. My SilverStone cost me over $200 1.5 years ago and I would love to get rid of it even for $20 now. Anyone? :)

For the past 1-1.5 year I have been looking at all little motherboards that were being released waiting until I could get one that would play HD content. Well, with ION and Atom 330 it is possible now, so I decided to invest few hundred dollars into a little box (21x19x6 cm), that sits behind my TV on the VESA mounts away from my eyes and handles 1080p, 7.1 audio, WiFi N, etc. I am amazed and I love it.

So, my setup is as follows:

TV:

1. 32" LCD

Basic TV for these days. Had it for over 3 years, and with me moving a lot around the world this is big enough to have.

MP client:

1. ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Motherboard (Atom 330, WiFi N, HDMI, DVI, S/PDIF, 8 USB, eSATA, Gigabit Ethernet)
  2. M350 mini-ITX case
  3. Samsung SE-S084 External DVD writer
  4. 2GB RAM
  5. 250GB System Drive
  6. MCE remote

It is noiseless even with stock little fan that I can put onto the heatsink if I need to. Runs 1080p at about 10% CPU by offloading everything onto nVidia GPU.

This run me about $400 with shipping and duty for everything. I got mine on eBay @ MitxPC store.

Server:

1. P4 3Ghz
  2. 1GB RAM
  3. HighPoint RocketRaid 2220 RAID Card
  4. 5x1TB WesternDigital Green HDD (in RAID5) = 4TB volume
  5. 500GB system drive
  6. LG DVD writer
  7. Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500

I need to upgrade my case so I can have more HDD for my RAID, which I use not only for media, but for the rest of my data. But that's about it. Nothing fancy here.

Software:

1. Windows XP SP3
  2. MediaPortal 1.1.0.0 Beta1
  3. StreamedMP skin
  4. Haali MediaSplitter
  5. SAF codec/filter pack
  6. DaemonTools Lite

What else?

1. Set MediaPortal up better - figure out extra plugins, skin customization
  2. Enjoy it daily
  3. Help few friends with their HTPC projects

I think that ION and Atom 330 is the best thing that happened to HTPC universe for a while :D

Cheers

P.S. If anyone is interested, I can put some pictures up.

Shurik

Portal Pro
December 13, 2006
Alberta
Home Country
Canada Canada

synthdood

Portal Pro
March 9, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
That looks like the ultimate solution for the bedroom!
I found a supplier in my country and ordered one immediately. Now I also need to find a nice small LCD-TV for the bedroom to replace the 10 year old CRT/VHS combi. The Samsung P2270HD looks nice. 22" fullHD HDMI/VGA/DVBT/DVBC and a VESA mount. Boy this is an expensive hobby ;-)

captcol

Portal Pro
June 27, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
As above I am interested in this and as a result I am trying to work out how to find the money to get one of these mobos, approx $350 for the same mobo here.

aghira1

Portal Member
February 16, 2008
That looks like the ultimate solution for the bedroom!
I found a supplier in my country ...

could you give me a hint about that supplier? i live in germany ... but it would not be a problem to order in Holand :D

By the way, if you can give Full HD up, there is a LG I have bought for 350 Euros - its a nice thing and has good features (even some that are only reachable after a firmware update ;))

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom