Live TV *always* stutters audio and video at 30-32 seconds after pressing PLAY (1 Viewer)

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2
    MediaPortal Skin: DefaultWide
    Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    CPU Type: i3 (dual-core)
    HDD: SSD - 64GB SATA-II
    Memory: 8GB
    Motherboard: Intel DH67CF
    Video Card: Sandy Bridge graphics (Intel HD Graphics family - on-board)
    Video Card Driver: 8.15.10.2509
    Sound Card: on-board Realtek High Definition Audio (2 channel output used)
    Sound Card AC3: n/a
    Sound Card Driver: 6.01.6449
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge HD-PVR
    1. TV Card Type: Component Capture card (2-channel audio, not using SPDIF) - H.264
    1. TV Card Driver: 1.5.7
    2. TV Card: Hauppauge 2250
    2. TV Card Type: ATSC - MPEG2
    2. TV Card Driver: 7.9.1.29297
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: LAV Audio Decoder (AAC is set to Microsoft DTV-DVD)
    h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: DirecTV / OTA
    HTPC Case: Antec ITX
    Cooling: Standard
    Power Supply: 65 watt
    Remote: SageTV remote with USB-UIRT
    TV: Samsung 40" HDTV connected via HDMI
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Good afternoon,

I'm having an issue where no matter what tuner I use, or client PC I've tested, the video and audio ALWAYS stutter at the 30-32 second mark after pressing play on live TV and recorded video. I have verified by rewinding 15 seconds that the stutter is NOT in the source video, as it moves to 30 seconds after playback from a "rewind" or "fast forward" function, rather than sticking to the same point in the video file duration.

I've also tried building a second TV server on separate hardware with the same boards (I have duplicates of my HD-PVRs and Hauppauge tuners) and have the same exact issue from that server. The original server is Windows XP 32-bit, while the new server is Windows 7 Professional - 64-bit.

I've tried different audio and video codec combinations (SAV), and cannot get this issue to go away. The network between the client PC and server is 100Mb hard-wired (CAT5e).

I've attached logs where this is present. If there is anything else I can provide, please let me know. I'm willing to try anything to resolve this issue.

Help!!! :D

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Tony,

Thank you for the reply! So, here are the answers to your questions:

The first stutter seems to always be at 30 seconds.... after that, the next ones come later on randomly. The longer you watch live TV, the more frequent the stutter and pixelation issues occur (ie: the Superbowl was painful... lol)

I just tested switching to UNC paths, and that seems to clear up the stuttering - at least within the first 2-3 minutes of a show (will need to do more testing). The weird thing is when starting to play a show, the screen ends up with a green tint, and video freezes. If I hit rewind once, it then plays the file (timeshift) fine.

Any other suggestions?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I suspect the startup green tint/freeze problem is a decoder/video driver 'feature' - try using LAV video in software-only mode (the MS DTV decoder will be using DXVA i.e. the Intel GPU hardware decoder), or the 'noStopMod44' TsReader.ax from -> here <- which has different start-up behaviour to the standard version.

Tony

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    So, the TSReader.ax version 44 you suggest below actually seems to clear up the pause after playing video for 30 seconds. I currently have the following configs that seem to be working properly:

- Client 1 - TSReader.ax V44 in non-RTSP mode
    - Client 2 - TSReader.ax V44 in RTSP (normal) mode

I'll need to see if either combination resolves the stuttering that comes up after watching a long video stream, but so far, so good.

Next question - the experimental "non-RTSP" mode: Will that be supported in future releases of MediaPortal, as well?

:D

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I don't know of any plan to remove it - it's been in MP for several years already :) (I think it's kept 'hidden' because it's more complex to set up, and to avoid confusing new users with too many options).

Tony

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    I don't know of any plan to remove it - it's been in MP for several years already :) (I think it's kept 'hidden' because it's more complex to set up, and to avoid confusing new users with too many options).

Tony

Okay, cool. Last question - am I missing out on anything by using the UNC access method?

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    So, I still experienced some random stuttering using the UNC method, so I dropped back to the regular RTSP method with the V44 TSReader.ax file. I no longer see the 30 second stutter in this config!! :)

However, I'm still experiencing very infrequent issues, which I would describe as something like a 20ms 'pause'. During the pause, both audio and video frames are dropped. As the pause 'resumes', video and audio continues at the point in time where it should be.

I will try to see if I can capture this behavior when I have time - but am curious if others see this same, random behavior?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Try using the dpc latency tool, that will at least show if system lag by a bad driver could be the culprit.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Try using the dpc latency tool, that will at least show if system lag by a bad driver could be the culprit.

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately, that utility didn't find anything unusual. I've kind of ran out of ideas on how to resolve this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom