[fixed] Live-TV: Fast forward and rewind leads to picture freeze (1 Viewer)

tom78

Portal Pro
August 10, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello

As mentioned above, when playing live TV (SD; don't know if HD too) and pressing the rewind button on the remote, the picture freezes, but rewind is ongoing. The same when pressing fast forward.
on rewind this begins with 2x-speed, on fast forward it happens at 8x speed (2x and 4x works as expected)
Timeshift on Disk or in Ramdrive has no influence.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    tom78 (or anyone else seeing this problem), did this work OK on an earlier version of MP (1.1.0 or 1.1.1) ?

Does it also happen when playing recorded TV or other video ?

Tony

tom78

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Live-TV: Fast forward and rewind leads to picture freeze

@
    infinite.loop
    Ok, i'll check the codecs when i'm at home.

@ Owlsroost
    I noticed this issue also in 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 but did never see this with 1.0.2
    But since 1.0.2 a lot has changed in my configuration.

I made an update of Mainboard, Processor, Operating System AND MP at once.

New test results:
    - i changed the codecs to the windows7-built-in dtv, but this has no effect; the problem persists.
    - i have the same problem when i'm watching a recorded tv-show

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think the problem exists in MP 1.1.0 as well.

There have been some changes in the TV fast-forward implementation in MP 1.2.0 - this is why it works for x2 & x4, but the Win7 audio renderer won't handle higher rates so MP falls back to the older 'repeated skip-step' FFWD/REW method - and this seems to be broken :confused:

Can anyone else confirm this problem ?

Tony

harryzwo

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can cofirm this problem. Fasten than 4x FFWD dont work under Win7. If the problem is the audio renderer is it possible to deactivate this while FFWD/REW?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I can cofirm this problem. Fasten than 4x FFWD dont work under Win7. If the problem is the audio renderer is it possible to deactivate this while FFWD/REW?

It wont be only the audio renderer. Just think about a H264 decoder that wont support IFrame decoding only when speeds are over 4x. Your CPU / GPU will just not be able to decode H264 at 32x speeds. The issue is not so simple as it sounds but it affects all the directshow filters in the graph (and not all are under our own control).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

It wont be only the audio renderer. Just think about a H264 decoder that wont support IFrame decoding only when speeds are over 4x. Your CPU / GPU will just not be able to decode H264 at 32x speeds. The issue is not so simple as it sounds but it affects all the directshow filters in the graph (and not all are under our own control).

Agreed, but the basic MP issue is that the fallback FFWD/REW method (used when the renderer refuses higher rates) doesn't work sometimes/always with EVR - I can reproduce the problem with MP 1.1.0 under Vista every time.

I'm looking at the MP player code at the moment....

Tony

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Agreed, but the basic MP issue is that the fallback FFWD/REW method (used when the renderer refuses higher rates) doesn't work sometimes/always with EVR - I can reproduce the problem with MP 1.1.0 under Vista every time.

I wouldn't be the 1st time when there is a bug in MP code :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom