Live TV Flicker/Flash (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are there any testing results yet? Good or bad ones ;)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Obviously "HD only" is also a solution :)

Unfortunately I still have SD recordings to watch, so therefore it has a real use. (I don't watch private channels live at TV, too bloated with advertisements). So let's wait for other feedback about my added changes

karniemi

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2010
    Hi,

sorry - I received only one of the replies in email, so I thought this thread was dead :).

installed 7z, found the path for MP plugin folder, moved the official version of the plugin to a safe place, put that enhanced version to the MP plugin folder, started MP, enabled VideoEffectChanger, watched TV: no flicker, restart HTPC, start MP, watch TV: yes flicker, stop MP, run log-collector.

And oh behold, the logs.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for feedback!
    watch TV: yes flicker, stop MP, run log-collector.
    I can see from the last log file, that you played a SD TV channel and the VideoEffectChanger selected the "sharpen_complex" shader:
    [2017-10-08 08:51:12,324] [84098 ] [10 ] [INFO ] - VideoEffectChanger: Selected effect 'effects\sharpen_complex', video height: 576px

If you see flicker here, it could mean the the used shader does create a too high load on the graphics card, so that random black frames could appear.

Could you please select the simpler "sharpen" filter? It is visually not as good as the "sharpen_complex", but requires less rendering power. I'd like to check if this makes a difference.

karniemi

Portal Pro
    November 11, 2010
    Here, some gpu load results attached ...using gpu-z...not sure if this helps at all.

I have a low-end gpu, but someone here had a high-end one and still had the flickering problem. I don't need any effects, and I think they should be off by default.

Attachments

• off-noflicker.gif
      off-noflicker.gif
      17 KB
    • sharpen-someflicker.gif
      sharpen-someflicker.gif
      17.1 KB
    • sharpencomplex-flickers.gif
      sharpencomplex-flickers.gif
      17 KB

old55jc

October 22, 2017
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks Kari,
    Your solution solved my SD problems. When only YLE has free-to-air HD channels, the tuner becomes useless since YLE's content is available online.

(GS 8400 graphics card still works!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom