Live TV OK, Recorded TV stuttery/locksup, but not in eg: VLC (1 Viewer)

lm

Portal Member
April 5, 2006
This is really confusing me.

Watching live TV in MP from DVB works great. Timeshifting as well. (except for a detail I won't go into here.)
Watching video recorded from mytheatre in MP looks great. In fact, I can watch anything in MP except for MP recorded files.
Watching MP recorded files in VLC or KMP looks and works great.
Watching MP recorded files in MP is very stuttery, and in fact locks up MP on my slower PC.

Look at those clues and tell me it's not confusing. I've compared good and troublesome mpg files in Gspot, and I can't see any difference, except the MP file has 8 audio tracks, which seems unlikely to me as the problem, but even if it was, I can't find where to change the recording parameters in MP. Considering figuring out how to remux the test file to 1 audio track & see if problem goes away, but I think that'd be a waste of time.

Sorry for firing this question out before spending hours filtering through the forum, but I've been doing that so much lately solving other MP issues that I don't have the patience at the moment.

Unspeakable thanks to all the mediaportal contributors for their efforts. This is something to be really, really proud of. It's been a long challenge, and we are now starting to see the payoffs.

-lm.

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you perhaps post some minutes of the recordings so we can analyze it?

windsorguy13

Portal Member
    December 8, 2007
    Thanks for looking into this...

http://www.zshare.net/video/5679058282ed4b/

So again, I can watch this in anything & it runs fine, but when I watch it in mediaportal on either of my machines, it gets jittery after a few seconds.

I'm seeing the exact same problem. Live TV and timeshifting great, but recorded TV is jittery. For me, looks like it's a problem with the video file itself since the stutters always occur in the same frames. If I figure anything out, I'll post it back here. Thanks, good luck!

Kruken

January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Im having the exact same problem ... I am very happy with my mediaportal setup ... overall it runs great. However it would be nice to find a solution to this issue. Not being able to replay recorded tv directly in MP hurts the overall experience of using MP as a PVR.

This issue aside , this is a great application, Keep up the good work guys !

--Kruken

MS03074

January 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

maybe it depends on the used audio codec. i had a similar issue with records with ac3 sound.
    i have to use the ffdshow audio codec for them to play them without stuttering.
    maybe try some different codecs.

michael

lm

Portal Member
    April 5, 2006
    Yes, definitely it's an audio issue... some softwares (kmplayer) are reporting the bad files have 0 for bitrate, 0 for audio channel count etc... I tried using the 'My Mplayer' plugin, that seems to almost solve the issue for now. If I could figure out how to set up ffdshow, I'm sure that'd be a much smoother solution. Maybe I'll have a look at that today.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I don't have this problem at all.
    BUT I did experience the same issue when enabling EPG grabbing in config...

Currently, I have disabled EPG grabbing because of this... perhaps someone of you could confirm this?

Regards

lm

Portal Member
    April 5, 2006
    good news and bad news.

bad news... I disabled everything I could find related to epg grabbing, and made no difference. (this is actually good news because it would've really sucked if I had to disable epg grabbing)

good news... installed ffdshow and SOLVED THE PROBLEM... so YAY! I can use recording function of mediaportal!!!

If anyone needs help with setting up ffdshow codec, I suggest to go here to download & read mediaportal codec guide: http://users.vic.chariot.net.au/~mitreski (THANKS MS03074! and GOOSE!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom