Live tv slow on client (1 Viewer)

stefanbaar

Portal Pro
October 31, 2007
Holstebro
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi.

Can anyone tell me why it takes so long to turn on live tv on my client? About 25 sec.
When i turn on tv on the server it takes about 5 sec.
But if I play a rocording on the client it start immediately..

Client and server are both running win7x64 and mp 1.1.3

Logs attached

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi stefanbaar

The logging level on the client seems to be set at "info". Could you please set it to "debug" and then post another set of logs? I'm sorry to have to ask you to do that, however it is tricky to track what is going on if the logging is only at info level...

mm

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I think it is only on first tune?
    There is a 21 second lost here:
    2011-06-24 15:57:35.148178 [Warn.][MPMain(1)]: tvhome:startplay. Phase 1 - 21003 ms - Done method initialization
    That should not take so long. I wrote a post about this a looong time ago. And I have many different ways to solve it:

Arion_p suggested this (and that worked for me):
    Are you using the server's hostname in your client's tv configuration? Can you try using the server's IP addres instead (just for testing)?

I have seen many times extremely slow name resolution in networks without DNS.

I found this other method to solve the issue as well (my own invention):
    If I under my network adapter* de-activate "register this connection's addresses in DNS", then I no longer have problems resolving the hostname.

A third method that might work is to disable ipv6 on your network adapter.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the issue is caused by slow name resolution in some case on your network.

stefanbaar

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2007
    Holstebro
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks..

I tried to disable ipv6 on server and client and it did not help.

But I read another post where it was suggested to change the tuners from generic --->DVB-T and it seems to work. Now it is a lot faster 2-3 sec.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again stefanbaar

I have to say that doesn't make sense to me. From a code perspective, there are only a few sections of code between the two logging lines that have the ~25 second delay. So far as I can tell, none of them involve interaction with the TV Server, therefore I would have expected that changing TV Server settings wouldn't make any difference. Further, the TV Server had already tuned before the delay occurred - it took around 3 seconds, and the last line in the client side logs indicated that tuning occurred completely successfully. I was thinking that the slowness was something to do with the client side graph (codecs) or maybe HDD response time when creating the timeshifting file...

mm

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I am confident it is a slow name resolution issue. It has the exact 21 second delay associated with this.
    You didn't see it the second time, since the name had already been resolved. Try changing the tuner type back and see that it doesn't matter.

stefanbaar

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2007
    Holstebro
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I am confident it is a slow name resolution issue. It has the exact 21 second delay associated with this.
    You didn't see it the second time, since the name had already been resolved. Try changing the tuner type back and see that it doesn't matter.

Okay. I will try that later today.
    Thanks

Okay. I will try that later today.
    Thanks

You were right:)
    I tried enabling ipv6 again. And again it took 25 sec. to turn on tv..

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I also had this problem with live TV taking around 21 seconds. Turning off IPv6 on my network settings solved it. This was using version 1.7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom