[TV] LiveTV not working on client / Port bound on server (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
When I first installed MP on the server and client, LiveTV didn't work on the client and I found that in TV Server config, the streaming port was set to 0 (even though the text said default 554) and 3rd party checks said port 0 was already bound. So I changed the port to 554 and then the client started working.

Then later it wasn't working anymore and the third-party check said port 554 was already bound (although my firewall and netstat show nothing listening on that port), so I changed it back to port 0, which still didn't work and then back to 554, whereupon 3rd party checks showed that it was available and LiveTV on the client started working again. 3rd party checks still shows port 554 as available when it's all working, so there's obviously a problem that caused it to be bound and unavailable but I don't know what that might be.

I've attached the logs from the server but I couldn't see anything in them that really helps much.

MediaPortal Version: v1.1 rev23491
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Intel P4 2.8Ghz Northwood (non-HT)
HDD: 500GB Western Digital SATA
Memory: 1.5GB DDR
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8i848-PM
Video Card: Leadtek FX5600 256MB VIVO
Video Card Driver: 175.19
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC655)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6300
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.26168.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: MPC - Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Nexus 120mm Intake Fan, Accelero S2, Mini Ninja
Power Supply: DELL DA-2 AC->12v DC, mCubed EF28 DC-DC board
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Unfortunately your logs don't show any streaming related errors (IIRC streamingserver.log is overwritten every time tvservice is restarted).

You should not use 0 for the streaming port, it is invalid (this has been fixed in latest svn, port not is not allowed to be <554).
    When you check with netstat you should stop tvserver and use:
    Code:
    netstat -a
    You can try to use a port >1024 and see how it goes.
    Note: the streaming port does not change until tvservice is restarted

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I didn't think the logs showed anything useful. If I get the port 554 blocked error again I'll have to check (and save) the logs at that time. Fingers crossed it won't happen again though.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, got the same problem just now. Both PC's cold booted this morning. Client says "Unable to play: stream2.0" when I try to select a channel and server shows "port 554 is already bound".

I'm still not sure the logs show anything useful but I've attached them in case. I'll try using a port >1024 as you suggested and see if that fixes it.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    OK, got the same problem just now. Both PC's cold booted this morning. Client says "Unable to play: stream2.0" when I try to select a channel and server shows "port 554 is already bound".

I'm still not sure the logs show anything useful but I've attached them in case. I'll try using a port >1024 as you suggested and see if that fixes it.

Unfortunately logs only show that streaming server failed to initialize, most probably because the port was in use. The reason this happens intermittently is that the other process that binds to the same port (554) is also a service. Both tvserver and the other service start almost at the same time. Depending on system load and various delays during the initialization of both services, eventually one of them binds to the port first and the other fails. Which one succeeds and which fails is random (what you are seeing). When tvserver fails, you can use
    Code:
    netstat -a -b
    to see which is the other process. Or you can just change the port to a number not shown in netstat and be done with.

Note: I don't remember if "-b" works in netstat in XP, works here on Win2k3 Server and Vista.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK. I'll try putting the server back on port 554 and do the netstat (-b does work on XP) when it happens again to try and track down what's competing for the port, just to satisfy my curiousity if nothing else.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    OK, it's happened again. It seems that it happens each time I boot up the server in fact. Anyway, despite what 3rd-party checks says, nothing's bound to port 554. In fact, by stopping and restarting TVService, it happily bound to port 554. The only thing I can think is that something's temporarily stopping TVService binding to port 554 at boot and "3rd-party checks" error message reflects the situation at that time, rather than real-time.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Could it be that your network adapter is not available on start up (e.g. WLAN connected to USB)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom