Logitech Air MX looks cool.. will it work with MP? (1 Viewer)

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
Don't see why not it's just a replacement for a mouse! Was looking at adapting a Wii remote to work in Windows but might get one of these instead!

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am currently using the WiiMote for MediaPortal but I just ordered the Logitech MX Air to have a look at it. I will let you know when I tested it.

-level20peon

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    May 28, 2006
    Den Bosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok cool thanks alot, im just not sure it is worth the money... becouse my MCE Remote is doing its job just fine (but really lacks in the looks department..)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I received the MX Air yesterday and spent some time playing, here are my results:

- The freespace technology works fine
    - The ergonomy is almost perfect
    - The possibilites to control the HTPC are fine if you know how to use them

Well first I have to say that since I am using Windows Server 2003 the original Logitech SetPoint software won't work so I cannot remap any buttons with this Logitech application. But I have been using applications like AutoIT and the derivated AutoHotkey besides the GlovePIE application for controlling the HTPC with my WiiMote and for general hotkey purposes for quite some time so custom remapping was no problem.

I think you can configure the Mouse easier with SetPoint when you are using WinXP or Vista. I think you can also map the MediaHotkeys like play, pause etc without any of the above mentioned applications by configuring the "General HID" in the "MediaPortal configuration -> Remote" section if you should use this Logitech software. So even if you are not interested in writing control scripts it should be possible to map anything to fit your needs for MediaPortal.

There are, however just few buttons on the mouse but if you map them with some important actions it is sufficient to control the entire PC with this single device (at least I manage to do this ;)).

The mouse is very lightweight and fits perfectly into a palm which makes it very comfortable.

In compare with my WiiMote I will prefer this new nice peace of hardware and sell the WiiMote (I don't have a Wii console at all :mad:).

I hope this information was helpfull. Just ask if you want to know anything else.

-level20peon

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ok cool thanks alot, im just not sure it is worth the money... becouse my MCE Remote is doing its job just fine (but really lacks in the looks department..)

Yeah I agree with you on this.

The IR Reciever just makes my AV Rack look awful. May look into investing in one of these.

petlo

December 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Just a question... I'm sure the mapping of special buttons cause no problem with setpoint installed properly. But how about those special features, like skipping track by just waving your hand? Did you manage to get that working with Mediaportal or do you even think it's possible without too much trouble? I've just received and MX air as a christmas gift and now I want to make sure that it will work with Mediaportal and that it's just not a cool looking, very expensive mouse.

Users who are viewing this thread