Logitech Ultrax Media remote (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

I have this remote for some time now(Logitech Ultrax Media). Haven´t used this for a year or so and just started using this one again with my new HTPC.
Before I kinda gave up on it because I couldn't get the config part of it right but with eventghost I got it working pretty nice now together with MP.

However this is support so I'm having issues with this ofcourse!
The weird thing is this remote is constantly losing it's drivers for whatever reason. This happens after a long standby and after a shutdown or restart. I think the standby is the weirdest one cause it only happens when the PC has been in standby for several hours. several minutes up to an hour seems like not a problem (the drivers load properly after resume and just work)

When I "lose" the drivers and check the device management window (using XP btw, SP3) it has yellow question marks sitting in the HID section. Those belong to the remote.
Sometimes when I remove the usb receiver from the pc and hook it back up then it works. Sometimes this does not work however. When I switch to a different USB port sometimes this does the trick, then it's starts installing the drivers for that port and it works.
However sometimes all these "half baked solutions" do not work at all.
Then I need to install Logitech's crappy mediacenter software (medialife, end of life for ages now I believe) to just get the drivers back in there. I'm totally clueless how to install these drivers without doing it this way. I searched the CD over and over but there seems nothing related to remote drivers in there. Checked CAB's too but for some reason they can't be opened by 7zip.

Sorry for the long post, wanted to be thorough.
I'm kinda at a point here that I want to throw this remote out the window and buy something new that's working properly. Do you guys now a cheap but good remote?
The MS MCE remote I already have and I use that one for another PC in the same room so that one is no option because I think it'll interfere then.

------------

Just to add to this. When I have to install medialife I reboot (software asks so) and after that I uninstall it again because otherwise the start button will startup the crappy logitech software instead of MP. Although uninstalled there's still something that's displaying an OSD for volume etc changes. So I guess there's still parts of the original software left then. Don't mind this, just to be clear.

userjan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 14, 2008
    USA, Greeneville, TN
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have this behaivior with my webcam, wanna launch it on Skype and then it can't find, pluging it into a different USB port will wake it up again.

But you might wanna contact the Logitech helpdesk, i have very good experiences with them, they tend to solve problems well.

btw
    When you don't uninstall the software does it also loose the driver ? i can imagen uninstalling the aplication touching the driver too, maybe disabling Medialife's auto launch on windows boot helps.

START/RUN "msconfig"

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have this behaivior with my webcam, wanna launch it on Skype and then it can't find, pluging it into a different USB port will wake it up again.

But you might wanna contact the Logitech helpdesk, i have very good experiences with them, they tend to solve problems well.
    Well I could but this product has been end of life for ages. There's even no reference on the logitech site that this product ever existed. I think this means support will be kinda hard too. But maybe, if I've exhausted all other means.

btw
    When you don't uninstall the software does it also loose the driver ? i can imagen uninstalling the aplication touching the driver too, maybe disabling Medialife's auto launch on windows boot helps.

START/RUN "msconfig"
    The thing is with the MediaLife software.. I'm not sure how it works, it's not being started as a service or with windows. But it does respond to the remote launching medialife. So all I can do is remove the software so it doesn't do that any more.

thanks for the reply though!
    I kinda figured this is not worth my time and already ordered something new yesterday that'll work out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom