Long time to start playing a video. (1 Viewer)

Gfer

Portal Member
November 29, 2009
So I have all of my files on a server. I shared the harddrives over the network and I access the remote shares through my HTPC in my living room. Whenever I play a video through my HTPC in my living room, it takes about 2 minutes for it to start. During this time, MediaPortal is unresponsive. However, after it starts I have no problems playing any other file from any plugin, it loads instantly. I'm running the latest version of StreamedMP and the tvseries and moving pictures plugin that come with it. I guess MediaPortal or any of the plugins are having difficulty connecting to these remote shares. I've mapped these remote shares up as network drives on my HTPC. It should connect to them automatically on start up.

aots74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi Gfer,

Might not be the same problem but I also had very slow listings and starts for a while there. Recently I checked and tv series had many files that had not been automatically imported due to their naming. Fixed all of those up, ran an import and fixed anything that still didn't work with the manual importer. Also checked that all files in moving pictures had been recognised and added to the database. After that everything started instantly. I have a feeling (but could be wrong) that during the pause MP was still trying to recognise these files. Might not be the problem but that's what worked for me.

Cheers

Gfer

Portal Member
    November 29, 2009
    I don't think that's the problem, just did a fresh import of both moving pictures and tvseries. I remapped my shared drives using ip numbers instead of computer names and i added them to the exclusion list in my anti-virus software. That fixed it pretty much. It still takes roughly 3-5 secs to start it. Kind of a nuisance but bearable compared to the 2 minute startup I had previously :p. I want to try SAF 5.0, hopefully loading videos will be faster using that.

zappomax

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    So I have all of my files on a server. I shared the harddrives over the network and I access the remote shares through my HTPC in my living room. Whenever I play a video through my HTPC in my living room, it takes about 2 minutes for it to start. During this time, MediaPortal is unresponsive. However, after it starts I have no problems playing any other file from any plugin, it loads instantly. I'm running the latest version of StreamedMP and the tvseries and moving pictures plugin that come with it. I guess MediaPortal or any of the plugins are having difficulty connecting to these remote shares. I've mapped these remote shares up as network drives on my HTPC. It should connect to them automatically on start up.

How much ram U've on yr HTPC? When I had only 1gb on my HTCP I got same problem. Increase ammount of ram to resolve it (2gb should be enogh).

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London

i gave that a go and it actually took longer with v0.7.26, i might do a bit more testing but my problem is with MKV files.

the htpc has 2gb ram (acer revo 3610) and the same goes for the server where the files are held (self build pc 2gb ram as well as a qnap t409 NAS) and is running over a gigabit LAN.

its not just my htpc, my housemate has a dell vostro 220 which generally is faster than my htpc (better processor etc) and there is a noticeable pause when selecting a movie or tv ep to watch.

(am using the latest versions of MP/moving pics/mytvseries/streamedmp etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom