Long time to start playing a video.

Discussion in 'General Support' started by Gfer, June 18, 2010.

1. Gfer

Gfer Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    MediaPortal Version: RC4
    MediaPortal Skin:
    Windows Version: Windows 7
    CPU Type: Pentium 4 2.8ghz
    HDD: 120gb 7200rpm
    Memory: 2gb ddr2
    Motherboard:
    Video Card: radeon hd 4350
    Video Card Driver: latest ati driver
    Sound Card:
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: used saf codec pack
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    h.264 Video Codec: saf codec pack
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote:
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection:

So I have all of my files on a server. I shared the harddrives over the network and I access the remote shares through my HTPC in my living room. Whenever I play a video through my HTPC in my living room, it takes about 2 minutes for it to start. During this time, MediaPortal is unresponsive. However, after it starts I have no problems playing any other file from any plugin, it loads instantly. I'm running the latest version of StreamedMP and the tvseries and moving pictures plugin that come with it. I guess MediaPortal or any of the plugins are having difficulty connecting to these remote shares. I've mapped these remote shares up as network drives on my HTPC. It should connect to them automatically on start up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ZeroH

ZeroH Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    just a couple of suggestions.

set up the drive mapping using IP instead of computer name. This has resolved a few of the issues I've had.

if you use antivirus, set it up to exclude when reading. and add the network drives, MP folder and codecs to the exclusions. This is both on the HTPC and the server that holds the files.

I don't have antivirus installed on my HPTC.

4. Gfer

Gfer Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks, that worked. It's a lot faster now. I use microsoft security essentials and disabled real time protection. I also mapped the network drives to ip adresses instead of computer names.

5. ZeroH

ZeroH Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    glad to help.

I would still set up the exclusions list on the file server so you are protected at some level when writing files.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!