Long time to start playing a video. (1 Viewer)

Gfer

Portal Member
November 29, 2009
MediaPortal Version: RC4
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: Windows 7
CPU Type: Pentium 4 2.8ghz
HDD: 120gb 7200rpm
Memory: 2gb ddr2
Motherboard:
Video Card: radeon hd 4350
Video Card Driver: latest ati driver
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: used saf codec pack
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec: saf codec pack
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

So I have all of my files on a server. I shared the harddrives over the network and I access the remote shares through my HTPC in my living room. Whenever I play a video through my HTPC in my living room, it takes about 2 minutes for it to start. During this time, MediaPortal is unresponsive. However, after it starts I have no problems playing any other file from any plugin, it loads instantly. I'm running the latest version of StreamedMP and the tvseries and moving pictures plugin that come with it. I guess MediaPortal or any of the plugins are having difficulty connecting to these remote shares. I've mapped these remote shares up as network drives on my HTPC. It should connect to them automatically on start up.

ZeroH

Portal Member
April 11, 2010
just a couple of suggestions.

set up the drive mapping using IP instead of computer name. This has resolved a few of the issues I've had.

if you use antivirus, set it up to exclude when reading. and add the network drives, MP folder and codecs to the exclusions. This is both on the HTPC and the server that holds the files.

I don't have antivirus installed on my HPTC.

Gfer

Portal Member
November 29, 2009
Thanks, that worked. It's a lot faster now. I use microsoft security essentials and disabled real time protection. I also mapped the network drives to ip adresses instead of computer names.

ZeroH

Portal Member
April 11, 2010
glad to help.

I would still set up the exclusions list on the file server so you are protected at some level when writing files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom