Looking for a HTPC case - ATX and low profile (1 Viewer)

Mashenden

Portal Pro
January 13, 2006
Richmond, VA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm looking for a low profile HTPC case that supports ATX, one 5.25" external bay (no flip down panel pls) and 2 or 3 riser slots in the rear, with the "A/V equipment" look. Preferable that handles PCI-E and has control buttons. VFD/LCD display is not a necessity, but not a negative either.

It seems like such a case does not exist.

The Thermaltake Mozart SX VC7001SNS comes close but I returned it because the flip down panel was a flimsy design and the lack of a DVD eject button on the front panel meant you had to flip it down.

The SilverStone LC04 is the other one that is close to the desired requirements but it has the flip down door that worries me. Looks clean but I have had problems with these doors not being reliable. I'd rather not have a flip down panel or door unless it is only for a stealth 5.25" external bay.

Your comments are appreciated.

Matt A

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I have one of these for my main desktop PC: Antec - NSK1480

Good case, and shouldn't be too expensive as it isn't usually listed as an HTPC case (why are 'HTPC' cases far more expensive than anything else?).

Mashenden

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Home Country
    Cooler Master

The Cooler Master RC-260 definitely caught my eye but I cannot find it in stock anywhere. I'm in the US in case that explains why availability is non-existent.

All out of stock - PC Loft, CWC Group, Antares Digital, Newegg.

The first several on-line stores listed in Cooler Master's "Where to Buy" page did not have the RC-260.

Any suggestions on where to buy this would be appreciated.

------------------------------------

I have one of these for my main desktop PC: Antec - NSK1480

Good case, and shouldn't be too expensive as it isn't usually listed as an HTPC case (why are 'HTPC' cases far more expensive than anything else?).

As I understand it, the NSK1480 is microATX, not ATX. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Regarding HTPC prices, it probably has to do with supply and demand. As near as I can tell supply is limited, particularly if quality, quietness, temperature and low profile are requirements. Then supply is further limited if one is particular. That said, if a case manufacturer would get one right, it would sell like hot cakes (which makes me wonder why I don't start selling hot cakes instead of PCs :))

Matt A

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    The Cooler Master RC-260 definitely caught my eye but I cannot find it in stock anywhere. I'm in the US in case that explains why availability is non-existent.

All out of stock - PC Loft, CWC Group, Antares Digital, Newegg.

The first several on-line stores listed in Cooler Master's "Where to Buy" page did not have the RC-260.

Any suggestions on where to buy this would be appreciated.

rather than spending a lot of time contacting resellers, why dont you get Coolermaster on the phone and ask them where you can buy one...?

Mashenden

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Home Country
    rather than spending a lot of time contacting resellers, why dont you get Coolermaster on the phone and ask them where you can buy one...?

Seems like these suggestions would be easy, right?

Nope - I called, navigated through the voicemail system to what should be Sales and ended in their Human Resources department.

Also, as noted previously, I tried their "Where To Buy" website - None of the listed retailers or on-line providers offer the RC-260 case.

I can only guess that they are not ready to market this case in the US. Regardless, if they can't get this right, I would be reluctant to use their product anyways.

If I find a source I'll give the RC-260 a try but for now I am seriously considering the Altair A381.

Matt A

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom