Lookup by Episode name (1 Viewer)

m00kie

Portal Member
December 15, 2009
All,

I have been looking for quite sometime for a tool that will automatically fill in the relevant TV episode data for all the television programs I have acquired. Every several months or so I dig around for a tool to do it - figuring this desire will be a common one (not exactly a high priority on my list of things to do). When I came across the TV series database, I was excited. As I am testing out Media Portal, I fired up the TV-Series plugin and scanned my shows.

However, I was back to the same problem I've had every time I've tried this. I don't have exact series information. My structure (as my data comes from schedules direct / TitanTV) is

[folder]%seriesname% --
|-- [file]%seriesname% - %episodetitle%

However, each tool I've come across wants explicit series data. What I can't figure out or find, is the way to use the two points of data that I have (which are pretty explicit - Show / Episode Title - ie Family Guy - Saving Private Brian) to resolve the show data. With the TV-Series tool, I have to manually use the drop down box and navigate to the exact data that is in the filename.

Am I missing a switch - using the wrong vernacular in my googling / forum searching. I feel pretty silly as I manually pull down a dropdown with the criteria OF EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE ... browse to series .... browse to episode title and select it. I'm prety much doing exactly what a SQL query would do. Unfortunately for me - I am a programmer - but not a DBa / up to speed on databases.

Of course - the catch all answer is "write it if you want it" - and I'm fine with that. However, as I mentioned, I can't believe that this isn't a VERY common desire for PVR fans around the world.

Another note - I am working on finding the series data to stuff in at recording time, which is turning out to be elusive in implementing as well. If I am able to do so, that won't help me with my many hundred already recorded shows.

I would greatly appreciate any input on if the ability to acquire series and episode data from where series name and episode title exists. Or, if there isn't a way - perhaps there is a concrete reason? The only reason I can figure is that there aren't hard and fast rules on episode naming - but it seems that fuzzy logic could at least narrow it down and give you selections. On that topic, I am seeing only the tiniest differences in about 5% of the episode names I am working with - enough to easily resolve or prompt the user to determine a match.

So, can I get the info S##E## from something like Family Guy - Saving Private Brian? If so, what tool on what platform is recommended?

Thanks to anyone who has an answer for me. If I've simply been using the wrong web queries or missed a simple switch somewhere - please take pity on me :)

(I am posting this in a couple forums as I'm not quite sure where best to put it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom