Loosing AC3 passthru after pausing dvd. (1 Viewer)

mark13

Portal Member
October 11, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC4 ( 2006-04-18 )
MediaPortal Skin: Razor
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
Video Codec: Mpeg2Dec Filter
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 - 3.00GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: P4C800 (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.)
Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 (128 MB)
Video Card Driver: 8.1.9.8
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Audio Card Driver: 5.12.1.3630

When playing a dvd or avi with AC3 sound i can skipp ff jump and maintain passthru to my amplifier. When i pause i loose AC3 stream untill i press stopp and play.

Ive got the same problem with windowsmediaplayer and Power DVD so its not only MP related.

Can it have anything to do with my audio rendering device? Ive tried them all.

teladog01

Portal Member
June 11, 2006
mark13, have you found a solution to this problem? I tried that link to avsforum, but the thread doesn't exist.

I'm having the same issues with SP/DIF passthrough not working after certain actions when playing a DVD. Sometimes it's when I pause, sometimes when I press the DVD Menu button (MCE remote)

htpcoz

Portal Pro
July 25, 2005
Brisbane
Home Country
I've had the same issue with AC3 streams under myTV for some time now (going back to a pre-RC4 release).

THe only way that I have found to fix it is to use the Nvidia codec, and in the audio properties rather than selecting SPDIF mode for the SPDIF output I select prologic. This appears to do some downscaling of the audio output to Prologic. This still gives me some surround (although not true DD), but it gets rid of my problem with the AC3 audio being lost on pause.

I feed my spdif into a Panasonic TV with DD support.

As I said this issue came up for me some time ago, and I created another thread on this, but there was very little interest in it, so I assumed it was just my setup, but it could be a generic issue when used against the soundmax hardware (same as mine).

moullas

Portal Pro
January 15, 2005
Home Country
Cyprus Cyprus
I've had the same problem for some time...
The strange thing is that with Pre-RC4 installations i didn't use to have the problem... and it started 2-3 months ago

When playing a movie (avi, not tested with DVD), whenever i paused, fast forward or rewind the sound would be lost.

After the problem appeared (it used to work fine for 6-7 months), it extended to all windows apps.

I've done some searching and i think it's related to the Soundmax soundcard (i have the same one). Since i was extremely frustrated, i just connected the audio with direct channel to my audio decoder, and all is well now.

Btw, i have the same motherboard with you as well, and tried a lot of combinations of audio codecs etc...
At some point it was fixed with some upgrade of ffdshow, though i don't really understand how that works, so i can't be of more help...

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    it's related to the Soundmax soundcard
    Thats true - we're aware that also realteks ALC650 can cause this behaviour. For some users older drivers helped a bit..

teladog01

Portal Member
    June 11, 2006
    So is there a solution to this problem at this point? Or is this something that is being currently worked on?

I looked for older drivers but the only one listed on Asus's driver site for my mb is the one I currently have installed.

As others have also stated, I have tried every possible combination of codecs on my system (nero, cyberlink, nvidia, dscaler, mpa filter, ac3filter).

Any other suggestions?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I was using this onboard sound I spend 5 bucks on ebay for a Terratec X-Fire 1024 (any other cirrus based card will do, too)

If a pci slot is not a problem for you it would be best to avoid using the onboard sound completely..

At least nothing we can do about their drivers.

htpcoz

Portal Pro
    July 25, 2005
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    My system is an Asus p4p800-vm, which uses an ADI 1980 audio codec, and I certainly see the same behavior. Again this was introduced sometime before RC4 and has stuck ever since.

When I get a chance I'll try to identify the specific version the problem was introduced and see if I can find a way to work around it.

I'm unfortunately in the no PCI slots left boat, and would rather avoid spending on expensive external USB devices for the very limited functionality required for SPDIF passthrough, and would love to find a way to get this back (without using the Nvidia codec hack). In the meantime MP with no AC3 is still better than no MP at all :)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    well I have the heavy guess that MPA's massive improvements might come with this side effect - since this also fits in the time frame..

You could try de-registering MpaDecFilter.ax and use the one of RC4
    I'd also be very interested in the outcome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom