Losing connection to network shares (1 Viewer)

McGuffin

August 14, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Running Mediaportal 1.17 On Win 10 x64 Pro since a few weeks back (updated from 1.16). Haven't had any problems.
When I left home yesterday morning everything was working fine. I shut down MediaPortal, but left the computer on. When I got home yesterday evening I started MediaPortal and suddenly no media from my NAS was accessible.

Checked from file explorer in Windows 10, everything works fine (NAS-shares are not marked as offline) and movies play in VLC.
Rebooted NAS, no luck
Rebooted Router and switches, no luck.
Tested NAS-shares on other computers on the network, they work fine
Tried accessing the NAS-shares from other mediaportal clients, they work fine
Checked MP TV series on this computer, no problem reading local files, no access to files on NAS
Checked Moving Pictures on this computer, no problem reading local files, no access to files on NAS
Checked Music (builtin feature of MediaPortal), no problem reading local files, no access to files on NAS

So the problem seems isolated to accessing UNC-paths on the NAS from just this one Mediaportal client.

Checked Windows Logs, nothing happened during the day, except some kind of update to Windows Defender. Maybe they broke something in the update?
Removed and re-added exclusions for MediaPortal in Windows Defender, no luck
Checked Windows Defender firewall settings for MediaPortal, no change
Tried using Online Videos to see if MediaPortal has internet access, and it works.

Checked MP-logs (see example excerpts below) and MP TV series, Moving Pictures and Music Plugin logs all report the same thing, the shares on the NAS are offline. However Windows 10 and other software say they are online. And just to make it even weirder, after MediaPortal has been minimized to tray for about 5 minutes I notice in the log directory that MP TV Series suddenly got access to the share again and seems to be functioning normally. Still no joy with Moving Pictures or Music Plugin.

Reinstalling and setting up MediaPortal the way I want it from scratch is time consuming, so I'd rather not give up quite yet. Anybody have any ideas?

Music Plugin log example
[2017-09-26 13:06:41,305] [Error ] [MusicFolderWatcher] [ERROR] - MusicFolderWatcher Unable to turn on monitoring for: \\JUNO\JunoD2\GP1\Media\Sounds Exception: The directory name \\JUNO\JunoD2\GP1\Media\Sounds is invalid.
[2017-09-26 13:59:44,653] [Error ] [MusicFolderWatcher] [ERROR] - MusicFolderWatcher Unable to turn on monitoring for: Exception: The path is not of a legal form.

Moving pictures log example
26-Sep-2017 13:05:28 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\JUNO\JunoD2\Movie temp' (Network) - Reason: The specified network name is no longer available
26-Sep-2017 13:05:28 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\JUNO\JunoD2\GP1\Media\Movies' (Network) - Reason: The specified network name is no longer available
26-Sep-2017 13:05:29 Error [ WebGrabber]: Connection failed: URL=http://webservice.fanart.tv/v3/movies/tt0087924?api_key=4f26c36ab3d97e3a4a0c1e081710e3a6, Status=NotFound, Description=Not Found.
26-Sep-2017 13:05:31 Info [ DBImportPath]: Skipping scan for '\\JUNO\JunoD2\GP1\Media\Movies': the share is offline.
26-Sep-2017 13:06:16 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started watching '\\JUNO\JunoD2\GP1\Media\Movies' (Network) - Path is now being monitored for changes.
26-Sep-2017 13:06:16 Info [ MovieImporter]: Stopped watching '\\JUNO\JunoD2\GP1\Media\Movies' (Network) - Reason: An unexpected network error occurred
26-Sep-2017 13:06:17 Info [ DBImportPath]: Skipping scan for '\\JUNO\JunoD2\GP1\Media\Movies': the share is offline.

My TV Series log example
2017-09-26 13:59:54.646 [INFO][06]: File Watcher: Starting File System Watcher Background Task
2017-09-26 14:00:05.083 [INFO][05]: ******************* Full Run Starting (LocalScan: True - UpdateScan: False)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    curious about your problem,

I see a similar problem, sometimes my remote MP-Client cannot access recording folders with TV-Series. If I try to watch a program I get a "can't access remote recording" type error message (not sure of exact wording). If I open windows explorer, navigate to the recording folder, I can see the sub-folders, recordings etc. If I leave "explorer" open, close MP-Client then restart MP, TV-Series can now access the remote recordings. I think this also works if I just go back to MP-Client "Home" then go back to TV-Series, but not 100% sure. This does not happen all the time, just 1 or 2 times a week. I've had this problem on 2 different systems, 1 using wired ethernet another using wifi.

I think this is really a Win-10 problem that started a few months ago. I also use the Win-10 backup with remote network folder. I sometimes see a Win-10 notification saying remote backup folder not available and cannot see the "remote backup" folder in Settings > Update-Security > Backup > More Options. Open windows explorer, navigate to "remote backup" folder, and now Win-10 backup starts working again. I'm using windows "homegroups", password is setup correctly, windows explorer for remote file access works without problems. Its like somehow the remote folder cannot be accessed unless I use explorer to navigate to the top-level \\RemoteSystem\sharename, just using explorer to navigate to the \\RemoteSystem does not fix access to the share.

McGuffin

August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yes, I think you are right about this possibly being a Windows 10 problem. Mostly because I didn't touch MP or it's settings, it just got broken while I was away. I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't have a link to it right now) that the latest major update to Windows 10, Creators Update, removed some parts of windows file sharing abilities. After reading that I tried to check if this was a problem with the old "master browser" functionality, which in some cases could produce very strange results. But I couldn't find anything.

Like I said, I also think this is a Windows issue. The last couple of major updates has caused major problems on several installs (not MP related), including removing surround sound functionality and making my laptop incredibly sluggish.

You mention using Windows Homegroup. I do not use it, so I don't know if it just a "fancy" version of the old file sharing system or something completely different. I'll look into it.

Edit, forgot to mention, I tried "use explorer to navigate to the top-level \\RemoteSystem\sharename". Unfortunately it didn't help. Still, thank you! I'm really scratching my head here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom