Lost access to Network folders (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: v1.1.0 Final
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: Athlon II X4 630
HDD: 640GB WD SATA
Memory: 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB3
Video Card: HD3300 IGP
Video Card Driver: 10.5
Sound Card: onboard Realtek AC97 (ALC662)
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.6101
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.27240
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshowDXVA
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Custom
Cooling: Nexus 120mm Intake Fan, Stock CPU HSF
Power Supply: OCZ StealthStream 400W
Remote: Nova-T 500
TV: Sony XBR800 36"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I'm not aware of having changed anything, but since yesterday I've been unable to access the shared folders set up on my other PC (\\X3) from the Videos screen, nor can MPTV-Series or Moving Pictures access the relevant folders on that PC.

If I type \\X3 or \\X3\path to folder in XP's Run box, the folders display instantly, so I don't know what's going on. MP's logs don't seem to show anything relating to when I try and access the folders from the Videos screen.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
OK, I found this problem was caused by running MP as Administrator. Specifically, I added MediaPortal.exe to SuRun's "Approved Programs" list and set it to "Automatically start this program with elevated rights and never ask for a password" and "Start Automagically with elevated rights".

Removing it from the approved list, so that it runs as a limited user, and I'm able to access the shared folders on X3 again (X4 is the HTPC). Checking the permissions on one of the shared folders on X3 and they are:
Administrators (X3\Administrators)
Everyone
SuRunners (X3\SuRunners)
SYSTEM

They all have Full Control, Change and Read enabled, except for Everyone, which only has Read.

So surely Everyone should allow access whether MP is running as a Limited User (which is a member of SuRunners and Users) or an Administrator (only a member of Administrators).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom