h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Western Broadband
    HTPC Case: nMedia 1080P
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Antec 450 (old spare)
    Remote: HAMA clone
    TV: Sony 46 LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

(I don't know what the thread prefix is supposed to be -- the only option was 'confirm')

I have been fighting this problem ever since I first installed MP last Nov.
    At first glance, the symptoms appear to be that MP hangs up when starting a recorded TV playback. In more detail, the MP time display stops incrementing, but no playback starts. If I hit stop on the remote to stop play back, the time display comes back to life at the correct time, and MP is still functional -- unless I try to start another playback - then the same thing happens.
    If I leave it 'hung up' long enough, I eventually get a 'MP has encountered a problem and must be terminated' (something like that) message from Windows.
    Stopping and restarting MP (but not TV) does not fix the problem. The only fix I've found is reboot.

First attempt at a 'work around' was to do an automatic reboot every day at 5:00 am. That seemed to reduce to frequency of accuracy, but the problem still occurs on a seemingly random basis. It will sometimes happen when the first thing I do after a reboot is try to play a recording.
    I should also mention that I have I have MP (not windows) set to go to S3 standby state after 5 minutes of inactivity, and wake up to record TV or my remote input. That all seems to work fine - never missed a recording yet.

Second attempt was to change to the MSloopback adapter (for single machine setup) as described here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/msloopback-device-singleseat-users-51028/ . This was to eliminate any potential router or other loss of network connection. That also seemed to reduce the frequency, but the problem is still maddeningly there.

I also run MySqlcheck occasionally, with no errors reported.

In the attached logs, the attempted playback is at 2011-01-09 11:09:32.078125 -- notice please no corresponded response from TVserver. At 2011-01-09 11:23:16.968750, I hit CTRL_ALT_DEL so I could kill MP.
    I made the logs with DEBUG level set in MP. Please tell me if something else is needed.
    I would really appreciate a good idea what the problem is, and a work -around or fix. I have high grade HTPC hardware, and a fairly simple, straight forward MP installation. It works very well -- EXCEPT FOR THIS!!!

Thanks for any help.
    Cal

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I am sorry, but I can not reproduce that error - neither do the logs help.
    What happens when you try to play your recordings from inside MyVideos?

It might also be a good idea to update your system.
    2011-01-09 11:09:17.015625 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Main: Last install from WindowsUpdate is dated NEVER !!!

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for looking. I really appreciate it.
    As clearly implied, the problem does not happen every time, or even every day. But it does happen.

Don't you think a problem is indicated when a playback is initiated from MP but there is no TVserver response (or am I missing something?)

Good point -- haven't tried. But I will.

Finally regarding upgrades, "Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system." according to MS. Do you know of some later update that's needed?

Thanks again,
    Cal

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks for looking. I really appreciate it.
    As clearly implied, the problem does not happen every time, or even every day. But it does happen.

Don't you think a problem is indicated when a playback is initiated from MP but there is no TVserver response (or am I missing something?)
    If you would have a multiseat setup then my first thought would be about teh streaming server inside the TV-Server.
    But in singleseat, streaming is not used at all.
    If the TV-Server would not be reachable, then MP would tell you that right after the startup - or when entering MyTV.

So this issue is a quite strange one. :confused:

Finally regarding upgrades, "Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system." according to MS. Do you know of some later update that's needed?

Thanks again,
    Cal
    If I am not completelly wrong, then yes. There was at least one update related to an standby issue and one for directshow/playback.

Generally speaking we recommend windows 7 for HTPC's.
    Especially S3/S4 works one hell of a lot better in this os. And playbackquallity is a lot better as well. :)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    If you mean playing recordings using the VIDEOS tab on the main Blue3 screen, exactly the same thing happens -- MP looks like it has started a playback, but no video or audio, and time stops updating until I stop playback with my remote.
    If you mean playing the videos directly from Windows Explorer, the file types are .ts, and windows doesn't know how to play them.

Especially S3/S4 works one hell of a lot better in this os. And playbackquallity is a lot better as well.
    I'm sure you are correct, but I chose MP because it is supported for WXp SP3. I've been using that for years now, on at least 3 machines, and never had a problem with S3 standby. But I will look into the MS updates you mentioned.

btw, if you have any wild ideas about things to try, please tell me. Could TVserver actually be starting a playback, but with no video or audio output? I know HDMI is still functional because the MP screen is fine.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    If you mean playing recordings using the VIDEOS tab on the main Blue3 screen, exactly the same thing happens -- MP looks like it has started a playback, but no video or audio, and time stops updating until I stop playback with my remote.
    Yes, that is what I meant.
    So your issue is not related to the TV-Server in any way. Because that is actually like selecting the video inside Windows Explorer.
    MP just accesses the file directly and plays it.

I have never heard about such an issue like you encounter it - that direct file playback fails with little to none info in the logs about it. :confused:

When this issue occurs:
    • does a plain restart of MP fix the issue?
    • or do you have to reboot your PC to get playback of this file working?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You should run MediaPortal in Debug-Mode, then make sure you recreate the problem and let it gather all the logs. Then attach them here.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You should run MediaPortal in Debug-Mode, then make sure you recreate the problem and let it gather all the logs. Then attach them here.
    The issue is that he can not reproduce it that easiely. Might not even happen for days.
    Logverbosity is allready set to debug, yet no errors about the failing playback are logged.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    The issue is that he can not reproduce it that easiely. Might not even happen for days.
    Logverbosity is allready set to debug, yet no errors about the failing playback are logged.

OK, I just didn't see full logs in the attached zip-file (ie no DirectX information) etc.

Should he just run it in Debug-Mode and wait for this to happen? And then attach the logs that are gathered when MP crashes/is terminated?

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    So your issue is not related to the TV-Server in any way. Because that is actually like selecting the video inside Windows Explorer.
    OK - and you mentioned before that MP should report the fact if TVserver connection doesn't work (which it does not in this case).

MP just accesses the file directly and plays it.
    How is that different than what happens when TVserver is asked by MP to play a recording? (maybe this is pointless, in view of MP direct playback not working - but I still wonder about no TVserver response, in the logs, when MP supposedly asks for a playback))
    Since you've established that 'the problem' is all with MP --what could it possibly be? Some codec or renderer not working - just guessing?

I have never heard about such an issue like you encounter it - that direct file playback fails with little to none info in the logs about it.

When this issue occurs:

* does a plain restart of MP fix the issue?
    * or do you have to reboot your PC to get playback of this file working?

Just restarting MP does not fix the problem -- only a reboot. (I could try stopping TVserver and restarting, but that doesn't seem to be involved anyway.)
    Next time this happens, would it help to get a log file while using VIDEOS to try a direct playback?

Cal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom