Love StreamedMP but need 4:3 -Is there a similar 4:3 skin or what changes can I make? (1 Viewer)

kenp2600

Portal Member
December 11, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I really love the StreamedMP skin and use it on my widescreen TV. However, on my 4:3 tv things don't line up exactly right (font overlap, etc). I mainly use Moving Pictures and MP-TV Series currently. I have 2 questions.

First, what 4:3 skin is most similar to StreamedMP?

Second, if I were to customize the skin to fit 4:3 (at least for the areas I use most) what modifications would I need to make? I'm a software developer so I'm not concerned about doing the customizing, but if it were too extensive it might not be worth it in the long run.

Thank you

rkooten

Portal Pro
August 3, 2008
Home Country
I'm busy modding streamedMP to 4:3. I've made quite some progress, but it will still take some time. I won't be releasing any half-finished versions but at least now you know there's a version coming. It's up to you whether you want to wait.

One downside: I don't watch television, so that won't be properly supported. That is, I'll try to add as much as I can but I won't be able to test it. Perhaps someone else can add TV support once it is released.

It's not a quick and dirty mod as I'm cutting bigtime in the code. A lot of the code in streamedMP seems to be deprecated code from other skins. I'm also streamlining the skin by downsizing the number of files that are used, trying to add more consistent use of graphics and dimensions, adding proper comments and documentation, resizing the graphics, updating it to MP 1.0 specs etc.

I can tell you that there is a lot of work involved to do a proper 4:3 mod! When I started I thought it was a simple matter of changing the dimensions and resizing the graphics... turned out there's a bit more involved than that... :p

Biggest setback is the complete lack of up to date information on MP skinning and the fact that most community skins are not really good examples of proper coding. Most look good on the outside but the code is often messy. No flame intended, all efforts are appreciated of course!

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for your efforts rkooten. I will be happy to include your 4:3 version into the installer to give people a choice, or even come up with a separate installer if needed.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hurray!

I won't be releasing any half-finished versions
    :D

One downside: I don't watch television, so that won't be properly supported. That is, I'll try to add as much as I can but I won't be able to test it. Perhaps someone else can add TV support once it is released.
    Might be able to help with that if you like but I don't use TV Server only inbuilt engine

Adding proper comments and documentation, resizing the graphics, updating it to MP 1.0 specs etc..
    OMG, am I in heaven? Are you an angel of mercy?

I can tell you that there is a lot of work involved to do a proper 4:3 mod! When I started I thought it was a simple matter of changing the dimensions and resizing the graphics... turned out there's a bit more involved than that... :p.
    That's an understatement!

Biggest setback is the complete lack of up to date information on MP skinning and the fact that most community skins are not really good examples of proper coding. Most look good on the outside but the code is often messy. No flame intended, all efforts are appreciated of course!

+1 to that!

kenp2600

Portal Member
    December 11, 2008
    Home Country
    That sounds great. I'd love to give your skin a try when you get it done. If you need any help testing, drop me a message. I'd be happy to help.

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Well, don't celebrate just yet.

I'm making progress, but as I said... it takes a lot of effort. It may be a while before there's a finished product (as in months). Nonetheless, this is going to be my skin of choice as well and I want it to be stable and good looking... ;)

kenp2600

Portal Member
    December 11, 2008
    Home Country
    Well, don't celebrate just yet.

I'm making progress, but as I said... it takes a lot of effort. It may be a while before there's a finished product (as in months). Nonetheless, this is going to be my skin of choice as well and I want it to be stable and good looking... ;)

Still, let me know if I can help. I might even be able to help with the development if you had the time to get me started.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    rkooten :D for doing this!!!

Working on my own skinmod atm, started of with blue3.
    I kinda got the hang of most of it now. If I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me.

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the encouragement! :)

I prefer to work alone for now. I have my own way of doing this systematically, which will hopefully allow me to create much needed documentation about skinning afterward. I feel I won't be able to do this if I also have to coordinate other peoples' efforts. Thanks for the offer though!

I'm sure the TV-section will still need work once I'm done, so there's a good chance I'll ask one of you guys to help me out with that by then.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I can understand that, it takes a lot of effort to collabarate over the internet.

However I was also suggesting you could contact me with specific skin problems or something. Just don't be spending hours on some problem, that's lost time.
    I'm not saying I know everything but I made some leaps the last couple of weeks regarding skinengine knowledge, so might be able to help you out with specifics. But maybe you're further than me knowledge wise ;)
    Anything to get this skin out there asap, no pressure though. A proper job is more important

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom