Low Profile AGP Graphic Card (1 Viewer)

Schmidti

Portal Pro
September 21, 2004
Germany
Does anybody know a fast low profile AGP - graphic card?

I know the ATI Radeon 9600SE is this the fastest card you can get in low profile?
Is it possible to get it with 128 Bit as full futured (no-SE)?

rien-ne-va-plus

Portal Member
October 21, 2004
Berlin/Germany
i was wondering the same, i read something in a magazine (German Chip)
that "not many low-profile agp-cards have 128-bit interface"

i guessed from that that there must be some lp 128bit cards, but didnt find any

A

Anonymous

Powercolor Radeon 9250 256mb 128 bit is low profile.

I know that it is a psuedo-se type card but it handles sims2 and while recording with a non mpeg2 card.

it was only $50 american after rebate at newegg.com.

PLeblanc

Portal Member
February 10, 2005
Another low profile graphics card

I've read a few reviews of the Volari V3XT from XGI. It's not only a low profile card, but it is supposed to be $40-50, and performance-wise compares or slightly exceeds the radeon 9200
http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=627

Here's another review
http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews05/xgivolariv3xt/index7.php

Now for the bad news. I can't seem to find one of these for sale at my usual reputable dealers (say newegg or pc alchemy or logic supply or zipzoomfly).

The reviews claim it has component HD out, for goodness sakes! 720p or 1080i!

And the way the card is engineered, you could take your dremel to the back plate and make it shorter, and use the ribbon for the vga out to attach that elsewhere.

Seems pretty sweet. If anyone finds them for sale, please speak up.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
Schmidti said:

I know the ATI Radeon 9600SE is this the fastest card you can get in low profile?
Why exactly do you need 128 Bit?
The 9550 is 128 bit... not sure about low profile models.
Funny thing is... the 9600se is faster.

I have a 9600se and it's frame rates keep up with the monitor's refresh rate on everything I've played. Haven't tried Doom 3 though... I hear it's a pig on anything but a high end card.

No matter what the benchmarks say the framerate is... in the end it's no faster than the monitor refreshes.

I'm sure there's a difference... but I like not having to listen to the fan.

W

warmonked

jdiffend said:
Schmidti said:

Why exactly do you need 128 Bit?
The 9550 is 128 bit... not sure about low profile models.
Funny thing is... the 9600se is faster.

I have a 9600se and it's frame rates keep up with the monitor's refresh rate on everything I've played. Haven't tried Doom 3 though... I hear it's a pig on anything but a high end card.

No matter what the benchmarks say the framerate is... in the end it's no faster than the monitor refreshes.

I'm sure there's a difference... but I like not having to listen to the fan.

The 9550 is a slower clocked 9600. If you overclock the 9550 to 9600 speeds, it should be faster than then 9600se.

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
jdiffend said:
Schmidti said:
Haven't tried Doom 3 though... I hear it's a pig on anything but a high end card.

That is propaganda mitigated by nVidia....

Like almost all games, Doom 3 will run just fine on older video cards if you manage your resources properly... That means turning off EVERYTHING else before you start playing, even Explorer if need be. I did this on my old computer, which was a Celeron 700 with a GeForce 2 MX400 and 384MB of PC133 RAM, and although it was a bit too old for Doom 3 to be playable, it was plenty for something like, say, Vice City, Serious Sam 2, Ghost Recon, Red Faction, Deus Ex, and so forth.

Even when I built the new PC, I had to use the Geforce2 as my primary video card for a while, and I can say that Doom 3 was (barely) playable on it. In fact, I could play pretty much anything on it, even Halo, although it looked crappy due to the absence of pixel shading ability.

Users who are viewing this thread