Low volume only when playing DVDs... (1 Viewer)

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
January 19, 2006
I'm using RC4 SVC 6/20/06. Whenever I play a DVD I have to turn the volume up really high to hear it. However when watching TV I don't have to do this. I have a stereo mini phono plug going from my built on sound card to two RCA jacks on the back of my TV. (so I'm just using a stereo 2 speaker set-up) I have the windows volume turned all the way up. I have tried every combo audio codec/ audio renderer possible, and there is no difference. What can I do to fix this?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    me too. With all codecs I have to have the TV at 100% volume when watching DVD's. When it goes through the setero it's the same story.

My hardware is pretty standard, using the onboard sound. Cant see it being a hardware issue either, considering that everything else is at normal volume.

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2006
    Ok, I think I figured out why I have to turn up the volume when playing DVDs but not TV. However I still need help to fix it. I think its a MP software issue. I noticed on some DVDs if you go into the audio setup you can choose 5.1 suround sound, DTS, or 2.1 stereo sound. Well when I played LOTR last night and selected 2.1 stereo sound in the DVD audio setup. The issue went away I didn't have to turn it up really loud to hear it. So what I'm thinking is for the DVDs that don't allow you to select 2.1 stereo, MP is treating it as 5.1 suround sound but with only two speakers so the the sound really low. Even though I have MP setup to use a "two speaker system" in the MP setup. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Topher5000

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2006
    The reason dvd volumes are low is because AC3 audio is mastered at a low volume. (I don't really know the technicalities of it.) When you switch to 2-channel, you're switching to a totally different audio track.
    I get the same low volume with the dvds I rip to xvids with AC3 audio. I remember reading at videohelp.com to install AC3Filter & adjust the gain. Unfortunately, I've tried this with MP & not had any luck yet. I've tried Ac3Filter, NV Purevideo & the MP default, but I figured I'd install the latest version of MP before I go any further.
    If you check out videohelp.com, you'll find a lot of info there.

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2006
    Topher5000: Thank you for your input, however I don't believe that I have MP setup to use AC3...I'll double check my settings when I get home.

Topher5000

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2006
    I don't think it would matter if MP is set for AC3 or not. If the dvd is playing the AC3 track, MP would use this, which is at the lower volume. I may be wrong, though.
    If you don't want MP to use the AC3 track, perhaps there's a way you can set it so all dvds will play the stereo track. I don't know how though, as I've never tried.

marshall

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just wanted to register that I have the same "low volume" issue when playing DVDs.

Topher5000, thanks for the AC3 tip, it's a good place to start looking at least.

ireshine

Portal Member
    November 18, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can see this is a old post, but no solution.
    I had the same problem and final solved the problem for stereo speaker.

Run Media Portal configuration
    under the DVD section, open and click DVD Post Processing
    scroll down until you find AC3filter
    add it to Activated filters, tick it
    then click "filter Properties"
    this should bring up a AC3Filter settings
    from this menu you can control the volume or gain of the DVD`s sound
    change the output to stereo 2/0 (if your using stereo)
    and drag the master volume up to +20db for maximum stereo sound
    then apply

hopefully this helps anyone else that comes across the same problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom