MA78G-DS3H sound over HDMI (1 Viewer)

Dodgy Bob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    How do I enable sound over the HDMI from the Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H motherboard?

luetty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2008
    Westerwald/ Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    think the HDMI-Sounddriver is installed?!?

rightclick at the speaker in tray and select "playing devices".
    There should you see the HDMI-Outputdevice. Just rightclick on it and select "as default".

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    How do I enable sound over the HDMI from the Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H motherboard?

1. you have to install the ATi HDMI driver (you can get the latest from realtek) here: Realtek

2. you have to connect a HDMI device (TV or receiver) and start this first, than your HTPC. If you start HTPC first, the HDMI target will not be reckognized and you cannot activate HDMI output ("not connected") - kinda "handshake" problem

3. you can set the default audio device in the realtek manager or in the windows mixer menü. Result is the same.

ps: this "handshake problem" is very annoying (eg no sound after standby etc) so I gave up HDMI audio with my 780G MoBo and use analog output.

Dodgy Bob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Guys,

Thanks for your replies but I should closed this thread. It appears there's a problem with losing sound over HDMI if the TV isn't on the correct source when you power up the HTPC. It's a right pain!

Cheers.

Bob.

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I don't have any issues with this on XP - I usually power on the PC before I turn on the TV. Sound over HDMI works fine no matter what way I turn on the TV and HTPC.
    If the better half hadn't just settled into something I would get the driver versions and settings.
    If you are using XP let me know and I'll list all the settings and drivers.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Just an idea:

We need a solution/patch that just enables HDMI permanently. Like an emulator that emulates a connected audio device on HDMI or a Bios patch etc. Or a patch that disables the search for connected audio device on HDMI at Windows startup.

What do you think?

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    You don't need emulation - it works as expected (at least with the drivers I have). HDMI sound is enabled even if I boot the HTPC with the TV turned off. when I turn on the TV sound is produced over the HDMI lead.

Audio Driver is 5.10.0.5657 and was downloaded from the Gigabyte site judging from the branding.

Mixer is set to Realtek HDA HDMI Out

and the Directx version is 9.0

Windows XP SP3 and all patches.

Motherboard GA-MA78G-DS3H Bios Revision F3

Dodgy Bob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I'm using Vista 32.

It even loses sound over HDMI if I change channels and then come back.

Just going to set-up some AV cables for sound until I get the extension done and can connect it to my amp.

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I guess this issue is also TV Device dependent. Some have problems some not. Maybe some TVs have "activated" HDMI port in standby some not.

My Panasonic makes problems. If I boot HTPC first, Vista says: device not connected for the HDMI port. There is no way to activate it properly without rebooting.

Malingo

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also have the problem that I don't get sound after waking up the HTPC. It worked one time, but I can't quite remember what I turned on first, PC or TV. Have to test a bit more.

What works for me to get the sound back is to disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV, and then reconnect.
    I have my TV connected to a Radeon 3450 over DVI/HDMI adapter. TV is a Samsung LE-40A616.

Users who are viewing this thread