[Machinima] Battlefield Crossover (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Since 2004 I am a MediaPortal user and Team Member.
    But I do have other hobbies too. ;) One of my biggest is the passion for the "Battlefield" franchise, which I play since it was born in 2002.

Since 2005 when Battlefield 2 was released, we (my brother and I) started to create Machinimas (Movies) with that game.

What was the reason to create "Battlefield Crossover"

Last year the latest installment in the Battlefield franchise was released - Battlefield 3.
    While it is without a doubt a evry good first person shooter, maybe one of the best available today, many of the Battlefield fans that are around from the very first hour, were not happy with it.

Even though heavily advertised as the worthy successor to Battlefield 2, it does not build upon it.
    Soldiers now autoheal and have infinite sprint, vehicles autorepair, flightphysics were dumbed down, jets have infinite ammo, helicopters have infinite ammo, roundpool instead of magpool, 3d spotting, hideous console port GUI on the PC version, no chian of command, no VoIP, uselss ComRose, no TacRose, squadleader is useless, squadmanagement is useless - you cant even invite anyone on a public server to your squad, maps designed to place as much players at possible in a confined space which does not allow any tactical gameplay, maps do not have any vaariation in elevation, maps have a very low ceiling which is horrible for jets, no Battlerecorder, no Freecam, no mod support, that list just keeps going on and on.​
    When you look at Battlefield 3, then it is nothing else than a even more casual Bad Company 2 with 64 players and jets. What once made Battlefield 2 so special, is simply not present in its successor.
    But EA was very clear that their goal was to "destroy Call of Duty" - so that should allready have showed us the shift for the target audience.

Many other "veterans" in the community share this opinion.

During the last year there were many petitions, articles, blogs and videos made by us "Battlefield Veterans", explaining how much richer the experience was in the old games, and showing that there are still a lot of players who are in love with that kind of game.

myth1485 recently published an article, every Battlefield player should read - http://bit.ly/Qc0D7K
    It provides a very nice overview of how DICE and EA deliberately provided false informations and lied to the community

So there was that. And we did not want to do any "documentary". ;)

In February 2012, we then started to wonder: "What would happen if you throw an Battlefield 2 player directly into Battlefield 3"?
    And this is what we now did in Battlefield:Crossover. We tell the story of an Squad Leader who suddenly finds himself inside Battlefield 3.
    While at first being fascinated by the visuals and sound, he soon starts to discover that this is no longer his Battlefield anymore.

But I don't want to spoil more of the video. See for yourself. We hope that you enjoy it! It is filled up with many small details, puns and jokes (where many require that you are familiar with the Battlefield franchise though) :)

Production Background
    Creating the BF2 scenes was "business as usual". But in opposite to "The FEARless Movie" and "Merchant of Death" the BF2 mod was fairly simple.
    Tweaked/changed a few textures (every soldier has a different face), added vehicles to the S@K map, removed flagpoles and other small tweaks.
    The biggest change in the mod was the female soldier model which I created (and mschoeldgen[Xww2] did the import/conversion into BF2), and the mobile bluescreen which I need for the "superman" scene (you will know when you see it).

With an blue screen you can do so many funny things. Why didn't I have that idea earlier. :D

And there also was a little CG work involved for the UAV (not entirely happy with that opening scene, but best I could do) and the "superman scene" first and 3rd person view.

In BF3 I replaced the displays inside the Jet to display the messages that heatseekers and flares are not available. But it was not actually *replacing* I did because ingame the displays are simply black/dead. So I *added* working displays.

There was also quite some rotoscoping and photoshoping done to i.e. make the "beam knife" bug look a bit better and understandable. When you actually trigger the bug ingame, the soldier appears/disappears/appears/disappears which looked just too strange for the video.

Outtakes and Behind the Scenes:
    Battlefield Crossover - Release Date Reveal: (though the date is wrong because I finished faster than expected. :D)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom