[Evaluate] MadVR support in MP2? (1 Viewer)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey guys! Really appreciate all your hard work! I just wanted to add my +1 for MadVR support in MP2. Hopefully some day this will be added. MadVR support is pretty much the only reason I still cling to MP1 and haven't migrated to MP2.
    Say never no, but better do not expect something until middle of 2020. Even after that there is not a high probability to have it implemented I think.
    Too less developers, too complicated. I personally do also not see a big need for HD content, but here opinions are differing.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think he means that MadVR did not give big advantage for HD content. SD content benefits much more from the good upscale functions in MadVR than HD content.
    Ah, I misunderstood the comment then. Indeed I am wondering why there are so many people that keen on MadVR given that the majority of TV channels is HD.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the majority of TV channels is HD
    Only if you have HD+
    But indeed it's more about all those DVD stuff rather than SDTV. DVD rips and similar are looking better a lot if played with MadVR. At least they do if you try it with MPC-HC. As the quality of the video source grows the advantage of MadVR shrinks...

thepahakurki

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2008
    Finland
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks for the comments!

Actually MadVR is literally a MAD upgrage when upscaling HD 720p or 1080p content to 4k. The difference is mindblowing in my opinion especially if you use MadVR's advanced upscaling algorithms. You need a rather powerful GPU for these (for example Geforce 2060 or Radeon RX 5700).

And to me even more important is that MadVR is currently (to my knowledge) the only way to passthrough HDR video content from PC to AVR & TV (or projector). If you don't have a HDR TV you can use MadVR to tone map HDR content to SDR.

I've been using MadVR in Mediaportal1 for a while now. I use it to upscale SD, 720p and 1080p content to 4k and also for 4k HDR content passthrough to my AVR / TV.

I think Mediaportal1 is currently the best media player available to use with MadVR as you have the benefit of using Mediaportal OSD during playback. The OSD is miles better than in MPC BE for example.

And as MP development focus has shifted to MP2 it would be great for some day in the future for MP2 to support MadVR as well.

grabi_2001

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2009
    in den Alpen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I see it with the HDR content as well, especially because more and more of it comes on the market.
    Also Full HD etc. profits from MadVR.
    MP1 is greatly enhanced by this opportunity and is a major reason for me not to go to MP2.

Andy22

Portal Member
    September 10, 2011
    Indeed I am wondering why there are so many people that keen on MadVR given that the majority of TV channels is HD.

There are quite some users that also now want to-do 4K upscaling or the other main reason for MadVR support is flawless "smooth motion" playback, without the "Soap opera" effect. Especially for us anime lovers, a lot of releases have weird refresh rates or your TV/Monitor just don't support the native 23p/24p/29p/50p correctly in its native resolution and you are stuck with a fixed 59/60hz (pc/game mode) setting.

Then lets not forget the enthusiast with carefully build color-LUT's or custom tonemap tables, those are nicely supported via MadVR as well. The list goes on and on, like actual good "dither" options and other PP (debanding, denoise, sharpen....) effects that don't just destroy your final image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom