Major bug, seems to be online video issue only (1 Viewer)

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
September 21, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just to follow up - I checked my HTPC - there is no antivirus installed at all nor is microsoft security essentials installed. In fact, I haven't changed anything on the OS in months (since awhile before upgrading to MP 1.2 and Online videos 1.0+. The only thing that changed on my HTPC at all from the time when I did not have this issue to the time I started having it, is upgrading to MP 1.2 and OV 1.0 (and now MP 1.2.3 and OV 1.2.0). There is nothing running in the background on my HTPC except MP, Plex Media Server (i tried exiting this and the problem still exists whether or not it's running) and IR Server (necessary to use my remote with MP). I don't see how this could be related to another process interfering. Also it does not look like it is CPU related at all - like I said during the period of time where the 'wait' is happening the hard disk drive is going insane. The CPU isn't heavily in use at the time because we can still watch data transcoded from the plex media server from another system without interruption if we want to, which takes a lot of CPU and would stop working properly if the CPU was overloaded.

Edit: Thought I'd add that I tried using different filters/codecs (FFDShow, etc) and I have the problem no matter what codecs I use, so I don't think it's a codec problem.

z4k

July 1, 2011
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,

I can confirm the issue with the delay (up to 10 sec.) before buffering of a chosen video starts. It also doesn't matter what page (youtube or something other).
I followed the hint with the MS Security Essentials and proved the behavior whithin the task manager while testing in the configuration of onlinevideos. When hitting the test button there's a activity about 20% of the anti maleware tool of MS Security Essentials.

My solution: It's not needed to uninstall MS SE. Just go to the settings tab and add mediaportal.exe to excepted processes.

There must be some kind of tool on your client or server the filter is passing and what produces the delay

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
September 21, 2009
Home Country
Ok guys I just want to add in some more information here.

First, MSE is definitely not installed anywhere on the system - the last time I even ran windows update (I don't have it set to automatic) was before MSE was even released. Second, I don't have any Antivirus on the system at all - I checked. Third, Windows Defender is installed but I completely disabled it (every part of it, completely). Fourth, I went through my programs list and literally uninstalled everything except MediaPortal, LAV Filters, and Plex Media Server. Fifth, I updated to the latest ATI drivers (I was still on 10.4 that's how long it's been since I've changed anything on this PC). Sixth, I ran a HDD scan/check on reboot.

After all this, I still have the exact same long delay with Online Videos - this is the only place I experience a delay, and as said before the HDD is going a million miles an hour when this delay occurs - as soon as the HDD stops going crazy the video immediately goes from 0.0% to 100% and the video starts playing.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    You have two problems:
    1. operations made by input filter are 5 times slower then on my HTPC (my HTPC has Intel Atom D510 CPU) - including raw memory operations like parsing strings
    2. overloaded HDD
    The cause of your first problem is unknown. You checked antivirus, firewall, defender and uninstalled not necessary software, but nothing helps. Did you monitor your CPU load with task manager while using MP and OnlineVideos? Maybe you see some process consuming CPU only in moment of using MP.

Second problem (at least from logs) is caused by bad stream sent by remote server. This problem should not happen using Youtube - please try and if you have problem attach log.

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    This is good information - I will try doing the 'test' button in the online video configuration with task manager up and see what happens with CPU during that time. I will also try sorting by I/O reads and writes and see if anything else spikes there. I will also try youtube tonight. Some sites are worse than others. For example break.com used to be instantaneous but at the same time yahoo music videos become slow, break slowed down also. However, instead of 60-90 seconds to start a video, it just went from < 1 second, to over 5 seconds.

Anyway I'll do some additional tests this weekend and post up the details, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom