[solved] major sound issue - somebody can help me configuring a working sound setup? (1 Viewer)

rico123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The last few days i have an annoying sound problem. There is just no sound on many sources. I figured out, i can hear sound on tv or dvd or video if it's dolby digital or a multi stream sound format, but i have no sound on simple stereo sources like some videos, music, online videos and also tv (eg. RTL or RTL2 in SD). I could hear the system sounds of mediaportal (until today, now these are gone too after i tried some different sound setups and i'm not able to fix it:mad:).
    I had sound on all sources until i simply pluged in a headphone in my pc front panel. After unplugging sound was gone. Pure Windows-sound is working fine for me on all sources. Because i use a prety good avr, i prefer my sound to simply pass through my optical output and windows default device is set for it.
    Any chance somebody can help me to fix that?
    BTW: for an update of MP2 i like to have the sound (also for different sources and codecs) to set up at one specific place and not all over the options menu.

Attached are my logs.

Seasons greatings,
    Rico.

rico123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, after a lot of try and error (approx. 3hrs from start) i could fix it on my own. Somehow the volume level in MP2 was set to zero (but was not mentioned as muted, i just saw in mixer settings in windows, but level up there didn't help - however...) that causes WASAPI to work for music in exclusive mode but no sound for videos in stereo (how could that be?). I'm pretty confused now but also happy it's working again.
    Sound handling and setup is a major point for improvement in my opinion...

Regards, Rico.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    that causes WASAPI to work for music in exclusive mode but no sound for videos in stereo (how could that be?)

It's because the Windows mixer volume cannot control bitstreamed or WASAPI sound outputs ('mute' is the only thing works on everything). So any audio source that is decoded to PCM and output via a normal DirectShow audio renderer is affected by the volume control. It's just how Windows sound mixer/rendering works, but I agree it can be confusing sometimes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom