Many dropped frames, LiveTV stuttering on every codec but MPC Gabest (1 Viewer)

tstack77

Portal Member
February 14, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC4
MediaPortal Skin: Maya
Windows Version: 7 Pro x64
CPU Type: AMD x2 5000+
HDD: WD 640 GB 7200RPM
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 800
Motherboard: MSI K9N Neo4 Platinum
Video Card: EVGA GTX260
Video Card Driver: 197.45 (April 2010)
Sound Card: Onboard - Realtek HD
Sound Card AC3: Optical Out
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.6013
1. TV Card: Avermedia Duet 188
1. TV Card Type: ATSC
1. TV Card Driver: 1
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink SAF v.4
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink SAF v.4
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Comcast
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-650TX
Remote: Harmony One
TV: Mitsubishi WS-55908
TV - HTPC Connection: Component

I am having severe issues with stuttering in both live and recorded tv, it happens on every channel (only use clearQAM HDTV). I have tried using every combination of codecs available from the SAF v4.0 release but the problem seems the same on all but Gabest.

I have a dual-monitor setup and tried to set my tv as the primary device (recommended HERE), but that too offered no help.

Not sure what else I can offer as help, still pretty new to MP.

Thanks

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Many dropped frames, LiveTV stuttering

Hey,

you can try this: Set both your screens to the same refresh rate. Normally this would be 60hz. Now enable Dynamic Refresh Rate in MP and configure it so that all the tv stuff is set to the same rate. I have no clue why this should solve the prob but it did for me :)

Luca

tstack77

Portal Member
    February 14, 2010
    Home Country
    Re: Many dropped frames, LiveTV stuttering

THANK YOU

I can't match the refresh rates since my HDTV is a 7 year old projection that only allows 29hz interlaced (why I attempted the TV as the primary monitor).

However, per your advice, I did change the Dynamic Refresh Rate in MP to 29...no errors! I still get small glitches but it's definitely watchable. I am uploading another logfile with the change, I am not sure what else to check on to iron out the small glitches.

EDIT: I was way wrong. When I originally changed the refresh rate I also randomly changed the mpeg-2 codec to 'MPC MPEG-2 (Gabest)', and that is what fixed the issue...not sure how I missed that before.

However, that codec only works for most of my channels, and even then frames drop over time. With any other codec I am right back to multiple dropped frames and an unwatchable picture.

Is there anything else that I can try to make everything work the way it should? I don't need it to be 100% perfect, but I would love to get to 100% watchable.

Thanks again for all help

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    You can try changing some options in BIOS. Disable: C&Q, C1E support.
    Codecs didn't matter and it did help me.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Many dropped frames, LiveTV stuttering on every codec but MPC Gabest

Hi tstack77,

no man, sorry, I have no further advice. The dropped frames thing seems to be so tricky. So many variables are in discussion.
    Oh wait one more thing which seems to have helped me: Which nvidia driver is running on your system? With all the newer versions above 9x.x I had more dropped frames.
    Try going back to 89.x

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    You have a really high end (260) video card and I'll assume the 7800 is for the component out to your Mit RPTV? I am close on having decent images - sometimes I get dropped frames listed in the logs and other times using <shift><1> I see horribly irregular graph lines. I am surprised your 260 is leaving you with anything but pristine video, really. See, I have a N9500GT in my last system I'd been toying around with placing in in my new one to see if the 'better' vc would matter.

I'm using PDVD10 (from the HD Pack 2.4) and SPDIFer to pass the audio - you have speakers installed? What is your audio config, are you not using digital audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom