mapping all guide channels to 1 tuner channel (1 Viewer)

lrisley

Portal Member
July 26, 2005
Kansas City
This must not be a big deal for most people or I just don't know what to search for but I have a haupauge wintv hvr 1600 working with mediaportal on windows 7 and it tunes just fine. I use dishnet and have the VIP722K dvr with the second output (coax ) going to my wintv1600. The VIP722k (dishnet set top box) is putting out everything on channel 21 for that second connection so I wanted to map channel 21 to all of the EPG listings which I am getting just fine using mc2xml (acquiring the listing from MS legacy) . Is this possible and if so, how should I get it working? Thank you for your help and patience in advance.

-lrisley

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm confused.

The fact that it's sending the output of the STB (set top box) on channel 21 should be irrelevant, right?

At some point, MP has to tune to a channel before starting the recording or else it will record whatever happens to be on the STB. For that reason, MP needs to know the channel to tune to... I'm assuming you have some IR blaster or serial connection to tune the STB from MP.

Am I missing something?

cheers.

Geoff

lrisley

Portal Member
    July 26, 2005
    Kansas City
    Nope, i am probably missing something. I want the full tv guide to show up but they should all map to the channel 21. Yup, the HVR 1600 does have a ir blaster but I have not progressed that far. Incidentally , the IR blaster i think will be a problem by itself since the second remote is actually radio based not IR but I have not researched that far yet.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK,

I think I get your problem now.

You don't really want all the channels to read channel 21, because you still have the problem of tuning the STB and MP needs to know the channel.

Instead, you want MP to tune twice... the first tuning you want is always going to be the analog input of the HVR1600 to channel 21. Then the second tuning is with an IR blaster to change the STB to whatever "real" channel you're trying to watch or record.

The setup for your RF-based STB might be an easier place to start since MP is only going to have to tune the STB.... with an RF-based STB, you'll want to look into serial or fireware tuning options for the box you have. EDIT: This assumes the RF STB is going into HVR1600 via SVideo

There are a couple of things you can try for the IR-based STB.

First, you can try to change the tuning details for the channels mapped to that STB to have channel 21's frequency. That way, no matter what channel you switch to, MP will change to 21.

Second, you're going to need IRSS and setup the blaster for the IR STB.

With both in place, MP will tune the analog tuner of the HVR1600 to 21 and IRSS will blast the IR commands to the STB with the proper channel.

Not sure if that'll all work, but in theory, it should ;)

Good luck.

g

vicom

Portal Member
    December 23, 2010
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    That is a great link! Thank you very much for the help.

Did u manage to get this to work?

I'm a former Snapstream Beyond TV user and i have a RF STB. How do i lock MP to the STB's RF channel and still have it blast the STB guide channels In BTV it was a option in the web config :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom