Mapping key presses to MCE remote buttons (1 Viewer)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey all,

Just wondering how to use the MCE Remote key-mapping feature properly.

Say for example I want to remap my teletext buttons to Key Strokes.

EG.
    Red = "x"
    Yellow = "<Enter>"
    Blue = "<Backspace>"

I set the Action to KeyPressed, but then what goes in those two text boxes?

I've put the ASCII code in both and that works for "x", but it doesn't seem to work for Enter or Backspace. Can someone tell me exactly what is meant to go in each of those text boxes?

Thanks,

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    With the MCE remote mappings I find it wasier to just map the function, rather than just the button to call that function.

So for <enter> just map to the action "OK" but this is already the big OK button on the remote.

(I'm away at the moment, so going by memory so can't be too exact)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yeah, I have done that where possible, but what I explained was only an example. The reason I want to map Enter and Backspace is because I'm integrating support for the alternate MCE remote driver made by BZR (The one used by HIP).

The alternate driver does not have OS controlled mappings for Clear, Enter, PC Power, Arrows, OK, *, #, or any of the number buttons. I've currently got everything except Clear and Enter mapped.

Hopefully it won't be long and I'll have some basic context-sensitive IR blasting working too, I'm hoping in the long run I can do away with HIP and have MP turn my tv on and set the source, send volume commands to my receiver when I'm watching a dvd, and all that jazz.

Any info on this key press mapping would be great. I should probably trace through the code, but I had a quick look and couldn't figure it out straight away so I was hoping someone would have a quick answer.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    and-81, that function is obsolete. That was for gamepads for MAME support, etc. It never really wored, tho. Even worse! You'd use the old keyboard mapper then AFTER the remote mapper, which is just bad. You don't have to map keystrokes. Please never ever do so. ;)

Have a look at e.g. IRTrans, X10 or Hauppauge mappings. They don't send keystrokes and are for some buttons even more functional than the native MCE remote is. No need for keystrokes. Never!

Thread moved.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    OK, that makes sense now. You did have me wondering :)

I also would like to use the HIP drivers, but couldn't be bothered mapping all the finctions manually so I stick with the default MS one.

The context sensitive blaster control sounds great. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more information. Like I said, I'm away at the moment, so can't do any testing. As a different thought, maybe these keys show up as HID in the new driver It's worth a try activating and testing that method.

Cheers,

Marcus.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks guys,

It's only those four buttons that are stumping me at the moment. But on the other hand, why would you need "*", "#", Enter and Clear/Backspace on the remote? Those four buttons can be mapped to anything else that's mapable in MP. I was only setting default mapping options anyway.

Anyway, I'll keep poking around. See what I can figure out.

I'll press on and put some work into IR blasting and then release something people can test.

Thanks again,

mrfx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Hi,
    I would need to use "key pressed" action and send for example "alt+F12" (or other similar keystroke) to ATI Control Panel to change display (from DVI LCD to secondary DSUB projector).

I'm using version 0.2.2.0. What should I put in these two fields which has description "key" under action in remote mapping configuration?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    mrfx:

Since I made this post way back then I've been working on my MCE Replacement Plugin and although it doesn't support sending keystrokes it does let you launch external apps, so if you can find a command-line way to do what you want then you could use my plugin to do it for you. Also, in the next test version of the plugin you will be able to map buttons to simulate keystrokes and send windows messages, so you'll almost certainly be able to do it then.

If you're interested then keep an eye on the MCE Replacement Plugin sub-forum here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165

Cheers,

mrfx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    and-81 - thanks for your answer.
    I found great tool - autohotkey, it makes exe's which simulate keystrokes (and can do much more). For now I use it with "My programs" and it solved my problem.
    When I find more time I'll install mce driver for my remote and test your plugin. Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom