Mapping multiple channels to one EPG channel program (1 Viewer)

ianicbrisson

March 1, 2006
I live in Canada where Digital TV is just starting to appear and EPG data is not availalble for the very few channels that exist. On the other hand, these channels have the same proraming as their analogue counterpart.

So, how can I map a Digital channel from my ATSC card and one channel from my analoque card to the same EPG channel program data?

Thank you

Ianic

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    start config.exe
    goto television
    goto tv channels
    select the analog + digital channel (using ctrl+click)
    hit the combine button

MP now combines the 2 channels into 1 channel.
    The new channel will be used for both analog and digital tuning
    and automaticly receives the EPG from either xmltv or from the digital stream if available.
    Now which card is being used when you tune to this channel?
    you can tell MP which card is preferred (i would say the digital one)
    by editing the card properties in config.exe and giving it a higher
    priority. This way MP will always try to use the digital card
    if its not available (lets say its recording another channel) then MP will
    use the analog one.

Frodo

ianicbrisson

March 1, 2006
    Wonderfull, thank you very much. Alhtough not very well documented, this is the most efficient way I've seen yet to combine channels. Should be posted in the Tips and Tricks.

Ianic Brisson

ianicbrisson

March 1, 2006
    frodo said:
    start config.exe
    goto television
    goto tv channels
    select the analog + digital channel (using ctrl+click)
    hit the combine button

Just got a few minutes to test it out but I don't have the combine button in the TV Channels panel. Is this functionnality available in RC2?

Thanks

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    this is a new function in a recent CVS update.
    If you are not sure about CVS, you should go here https://www.team-mediaportal.de/mediaportal-cvs-download.php and read the instructions *very carefully* before applying an update.

CVS releases are a work in progress, not the official release, so bear that in mind. This is also why combine isn't really documented as it's not quite official yet.

On an off topic note, you should be happy that Frodo answered your question personally. He is the lead MP programmer and usually way too busy to spend much time in the forums :lol:
    Welcome to the forums too, by the way.

ianicbrisson

March 1, 2006
    Marcusb said:
    this is a new function in a recent CVS update.
    If you are not sure about CVS, you should go here https://www.team-mediaportal.de/mediaportal-cvs-download.php and read the instructions *very carefully* before applying an update.

CVS releases are a work in progress, not the official release, so bear that in mind. This is also why combine isn't really documented as it's not quite official yet.

On an off topic note, you should be happy that Frodo answered your question personally. He is the lead MP programmer and usually way too busy to spend much time in the forums :lol:
    Welcome to the forums too, by the way.

I had gathered as much... about Frodo and CVS, I've surfed the forum for a few days now and am getting a good idea of what the Media Portal project is about. My HTPC project is quite a disaster, from driver wars to discovering that ffdshow doesn't run on the specific core of my AMD processor, I am about to give up. Team Media portal reminds me of the MythTV project under Linux on which I lingered for a long time only to discover that the Linux Nvidia drivers could not display in 1080i on my specific card, I should have changed my card at that point.

Media Portal seems to be the only application that really does everything right. This functionality was the last piece of the puzzle and I am very happy to see it's already been considered.

If I decide to go on with the project I'll fiddle around with the CVS update.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to my post.

Ianic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom