MARKETING!! (1 Viewer)

Messiah

Portal Member
August 30, 2004
Sweden
OK, Guys. You have put yourself in the shooting line with the new website. Really nice. Thats good! I've been working a lot with marketing, sales and market penetration. Now, to be able to really reach out to the masses, you have to add the a "Marketing" choice in the Site navigation menu. Under this choice you should put as much marketing material as possible. For example:

* Large logos in many formats.
* Some nice marketing folders in PDF (yea I know, but public does not have other readers yet ;/). The public surely likes to attach this caind of stuff into their mails, and you get massmarketing out by magic.
* Also create a standard presentation on developers. Like CV's. If you start with a easy standard on what to include, all will follow - and feel extra proud to join. Include photo, age, skills, education, view of life etc etc.
* A history - how did this start?
* The future - is there an end?

You can probably find out more fuzzy stuff to add. If you put your heads and your speedy fingers togeather and create this, you will most probably get MP into the public press worldwide in notime. Journalists really likes to be able to write when there is a ready package for them to download.

:D Go for it! The world is yours!

\Rob

A

Anonymous

Well since I also am a person that works with marketing I felt that I wanted to jump in and give my view on this.

Messiah said:
OK, Guys. You have put yourself in the shooting line with the new website. Really nice. Thats good! I've been working a lot with marketing, sales and market penetration. Now, to be able to really reach out to the masses, you have to add the a "Marketing" choice in the Site navigation menu.

I do not agree, marketing is something that is done activly and to assume that you can create a section on the homepage that says pr/marketing or what ever generates traffic is in most cases not true. If you want to reach out with an application like this you will have to proactivly find that userbase and virtually drag them in here. If Media Portal would be a startup and had a budget I would agree that the importance of a marketing section (it is still important but for other reasons). If you ask yourself and all the people that have come to this site I am certain that many would anwere that they got here by either word of mouth or by reading about MP in another forum. At this point that is the way to grow.

Messiah said:
* Some nice marketing folders in PDF (yea I know, but public does not have other readers yet ;/). The public surely likes to attach this caind of stuff into their mails, and you get massmarketing out by magic.

I have never received an email with something like that attached and therefor I am a little sceptic to that statement. I agree that many people download indeapth information for viewing or that a company use it to send via email if they do campaign activities but at this point we are not there.

Messiah said:
* Also create a standard presentation on developers. Like CV's. If you start with a easy standard on what to include, all will follow - and feel extra proud to join. Include photo, age, skills, education, view of life etc etc.

First of all that is something that you could focus on if you where to get investors interested in the project. During my years in a global company I found out that these kind of things are important to talkers while the doers don't care. I concider myself a doer in certain areas and I really don't care if people know who I am for real. I am fairly certain that it doesn't matter.

My take on a application like this is that the most powerful marketing you can do is to have an appication that is interesting. However, nothing like this comes for free offcourse and if you want to market it activly in an highlevel way (banners on member pages etc not included) you need to have a dialoge with the channel that writes about information like this. I am sure that you would get really far by sending out information on a weakly basis to this type of sources.

My 2 cents,
Samsonite

Messiah

Portal Member
August 30, 2004
Sweden
Samsonite said:
Well since I also am a person that works with marketing I felt that I wanted to jump in and give my view on this.
Respect.
Samsonite said:
If you ask yourself and all the people that have come to this site I am certain that many would anwere that they got here by either word of mouth or by reading about MP in another forum. At this point that is the way to grow.
That's true for normal tech-geeks, which I'm sure at least 80-90% is here today. But I'm aiming for the bigger audiens. The bigger audiens who isn't do'ers in our words, they surely likes to spread the word about this new way of handeling media. By using them we could reach out further than just moving Meedio users here ;)
Samsonite said:
I have never received an email with something like that attached and therefor I am a little sceptic to that statement.
So you have never got an email from a fried about something that he/she wants you to take a look at? I think you have...
Samsonite said:
..if you where to get investors interested in the project. During my years in a global company I found out that these kind of things are important to talkers while the doers don't care. I concider myself a doer in certain areas and I really don't care if people know who I am for real. I am fairly certain that it doesn't matter...
Well, if you think thru you answer, you will understand why these apps does not reach the bigger audiens. But everyone most probably agree on that sooner or later the bigger audiens will adapt the technology. So, I of course see two parts here. Good marketing material to attract media, papers and news and money into the project. In many cases money could (I don't say all cases) motivate people to work even harder. The other is to attract companiew who make barebones, boxes, smallsized boards etc etc. I'm sure theyr'e interested in a fast rollout of HTPC solutions to the public.
Samsonite said:
However, nothing like this comes for free offcourse and if you want to market it activly in an highlevel way (banners on member pages etc not included) you need to have a dialoge with the channel that writes about information like this. I am sure that you would get really far by sending out information on a weakly basis to this type of sources.
I see this as an opener not only for the HTPC, but also for open source and newer ways to use technology at home (or elseware].

If the project would like someone who moderates marketing material, I'm interested.

\Mess

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom