MCE remote alternatives from Ebay (1 Viewer)

BalorNG

March 14, 2009
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
While one can simply buy an MCE remote (and concensus is that it is the best remote), there are other remotes one can find - and since Ebay is the best source of them, let's share our experience and recommendations here.

I'll start with my own, not exactly pleasant:

I've bought this:

MEDIA CENTER CONTROLLER USB PC COMPUTER REMOTE CONTROL - eBay (item 220367643509 end time Feb-25-09 02:00:59 PST)

While it did look good in theory, in practice it turned out that 'MCE buttons' are, in fact, transmitting
CTRL + ALT + A, CTRL + ALT + 1, CTRL + ALT + F1 for the green, CTRL + ALT + B, CTRL + ALT + 2, CTRL + ALT + F2 for the orange, etc... and I cannot find a way to hook it up to MediaPortal.

Can someone help me do it, btw? I think it should be possible in theory.

Next, while mouse input works ok, the 'direction pad' (combined with numpad) turned out to be extremely unergonomical - due to lack of 'pimple' on the 'Enter' key (therefore very hard to find if not looking at the remote), and all the surrounding buttons that always geting in the way.
Play/stop buttons also behave strangely, sometimes.

The price is unbeatable - 10$ including delivery, though. If they have put a BIT more thought into ergonomics, it could be great :(.

I bet the other, flat one, that sells for the same price must the the same when it comes to being 'truly MCE' and ergonomics, perhaps worse.

So, any other remotes in 20-30$ range that can be a good MCE alternatives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom