[Remote] MCE Remote whn MP loses Focus flag (1 Viewer)

guardianbs

Portal Member
October 23, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
In MP configuration - Remote - Generic HID there is an option to Allow / Not Allow MP from responding to the HID remote input when MP does not have focus. This sets entry HIDGlobal to yes/no in Mediaportal.xml.

There is no such option for the Microsoft MCE remote and MP always accepts and actions HID commands from the remote, even when it does not have focus. This makes it very difficult ot control other apps in the foreground with the MCE remote.

The Microsoft MCE configuration needs a flag (MCEGlobal ?) so it can be configured to ignore HID input when it does not have focus. A workaround could be if MP could be programatically sent a command via an api (NOT via a remote button) to toggle Layers in the Microsoft MCE.xml configuration so as to toggle to a Layer that ignores all input (it would also be nice if there were more than two Layers, but that's another story . . .).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    2 weeks, 63 views and no comments. Is nobody working on MediaPortal 1 anymore ?

Nope, everyone has left the building ;)

Good idea, but seems to not be high on a lot of peoples priorities (first request I have seen) as MP is always meant to be in focus and not a desktop application.

guardianbs

Portal Member
    October 23, 2011
    Home Country
    Scouring the MediaPortal forums for a possible workaround to the problem I have seen several other posts, but no solutions. I would have thought it would be more of a common problem as surely anyone who fires off an external app (e.g. player) from within Mediaportal must have the same issue, with MP reacting to the remote controlling the external app ? Personally my MCE Remote has 4 'personalities', via a AutoHotKey app, to control the TV, Home Theatre System and X10 controls as well as MediaPortal - but MP reacts to all the MCE commands, which is a pain.
    I've been working around the problem by having one of the MP MCE layers doing nothing, with the layer switch being triggered by one of the buttons on the MCE remote, which also flipped the MCE remote between controlling the TV and MP. Now that I've added a couple of more 'personalities' this no longer works very well. The solution I'm using at the moment is to terminate MP when switching away from MP and re-launching MP when I switch back to MP. This works fine as long as TV-Server is not recording two or three programs in the background - in which case the CPU / disk drain of MP loading causes a 'blip' in the recordings.

As I said, first choice would be a simple flag to tell MP to ignore the MCE remote when it does not have focus. A second choice workaround would be some way to communicate with MP programatically to send it a pseudo MCE key to toggle the MCE layer. Anyone got any ideas / suggestions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom