MCE Transceivr Emulator Device 2006 (1 Viewer)

RamonS

Portal Member
October 8, 2007
I got the Hauppauge HVR-1800 MCE kit and it comes with an MCE remote. I have Windows XPSP2 and neither the MCE driver from Microsoft from the Rollup package for Media Center nor the alternative driver work for my USB IR transceiver.
Here is what I found out so far:
The remote is a black remote, based on the pictures I found on the web it is a version 1 MCE remote. The remote has a model number of
RRS9002-86XXF
and the receiver has one of
RXX6000-0141E.
The receiver is from SMK.
When I plugin the USB cable the device manager detects it as "MCE Transceivr Emulator Device 2006" (yes, with the misspelled word 'transceivr').
One of the reasons is that the VID/PID of the USB device is not listed in either the Microsoft driver nor the alternative driver inf files. Adding a line in does not help, although that worked to get the driver loaded under 64 bit XP. Since none of the media center applications work right under 64 bit XP I created a dual-boot with a 32bit version.
The PID/VID from the USB device are
VID_0609
and
PID_0334.
The alternative driver inf contains an entry for the VID_0609, but with a different PID. There is also another entry behind that all, but I have no idea if that is relevant:
PA070619163310D
I can provide more information from the device manager, but stop here for now as I have no idea what is of relevance and what not.

The question of the day is:what do I need to do in order to get this remote to work? Any advice is welcome and any testing, trying, and hacking is something I consider as well. I am not that familiar with these types of hardware problems as I so far always managed to get some driver for all hardware that I use.
I just wonder how the XP Media Center is supposed to work with this remote when the inf file does not have the pid/vid combination? I contacted SMK and got nothing so far. Hauppauge is also of no help, although I contacted them before and asked which of their cards work with XP 64bit. They said the 1800 does...well, the card works...

Update:
Just as I sent this one off I came across a page where a change for the inf was posted. Made the change and the driver now installed fine as an eHome Infrared Receiver.

Update 2:
Remote now works on XPSP2 32bit - but I have the sticky keys problem as so many others. Does anyone know a fix for that? I got the update to the driver/firmware from Microsoft, but of course it doesn't install since I only have a regular XP.

Update 3:
I went for broke and gave the alternative MCE IR driver another try. This time I managed to got it to take, but the result was that the remote didn't do anything at all. So, I replaced it with the original Microsoft driver and found that after installing the MCE Remote Rollup package (KB912024) the driver has a different version. It used to be 5.1.2600.21xx (don't recall the last two digits) and now is 5.1.2600.2825. Not that this helps much, the keys are still sticking. I also tried Girder, but I just can't figure out that piece of software. And yes, I did load their MCE remote plugin. I'm going to bed now....any tips, tricks, and proposals are very welcome.

RamonS

Portal Member
October 8, 2007
Thanks for the hint. The instructions are basically all the things I tried and I did get the driver to load and the remote to work....sort of. I press channel up and the channels keep going up, the typical sticky button problem.
I couldn't get a hold of an MCE install and my attempts to buy it cheap on eBay went nowhere. I now have the remote for sale on eBay and got the Firefly remote, which unfortunately doesn't work on Windows XP 64 bit - at least that is what SnapStream claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom