[no Bug] Media Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Vol etc.) no longer work in 1.1.0 RC2 or RC3 (1 Viewer)

jasonwc

Portal Pro
July 4, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC3
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 1.0.3.1223
Windows Version: Windows 7 x86 Professional
CPU Type: Core i7 860
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB, Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5 TB x2, Fantom 1 TB eSATA/USB External x2, Fantom 500GB USB External
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 1333
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3R
Video Card: ATI Radeon 5850
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 10.4
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.6013
1. TV Card: NA
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: Corsair 650W CMPSU-650TX
Remote: Niveus PC RF Remote
TV: Samsung LN40B530
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Since updating to 1.1.0 RC2 and now RC3, neither the media buttons on my remote nor my keyboard work in MP. It seems this problem impacts all multimedia buttons - play/pause, stop, vol up, vol down and mute. These all worked in the 1.1.0 Beta1 rev. 23491 build and stopped working upon doing a fresh install of 1.1.0 RC2. Oddly, even going back to the old SVN build doesn't fix the issue. I have done a complete wipe of all MP settings, databases, logs etc. to no avail.

Other programs such as MPC-HC aren't affected. Please find a log attached from the debug tool.

I don't think the problem has to do with the remote but here is the model I own:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-651-_-Product

Behavior:
Play/Pause: Does nothing
Stop: Does nothing
Volume Up/Down on Keyboard- Alters volume but does not bring up volume meter as + and - do.
Mute: Works but doesn't bring up Mute logo, as pressing "m" does.

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    How was configured in MP Remote configuration section in the past when it was working?

Now as i can see in MediaPortal.xml nothing selected.

jasonwc

Portal Pro
    July 4, 2009
    Home Country
    It's an X10 remote. I didn't enable it in MP - it just worked out of the box.

I'm using the Niveus driver that sends key commands to Windows, so it works with any program. It just sends whatever key you tell it to, or in this case, binds it to a media command.

EDIT: Tested using MP's X10 "Other" remote. Seems to work fairly well:

Pause: Pause/Unpause
    Vol Up/Vol Down- changes volume and brings up dialog
    Mute: Mutes volume and brings up mute icon
    Direction keys - work as expected, up/down will skip chapters, left/right skips by time intervals
    Chapter Up/Down - Does nothing

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately the link you have provided for your remote gives a 'page unavailable' error.

What type of remote is it, and how have you configured it in MP config?

Mark

jasonwc

Portal Pro
    July 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Unfortunately the link you have provided for your remote gives a 'page unavailable' error.

What type of remote is it, and how have you configured it in MP config?

Mark

It must have truncated the link. Here's the full link-

Newegg.com - NiveusMedia PC Infrared / RF Remote Control

It's an X10 based RF remote. It works without changing any settings in MP (and worked perfectly in the SVN). If I choose the "Other" X10 remote option, it acts as described above. I don't understand why the Play/Pause button wouldn't work, though. It's not a binding issue. The Play/Pause key on my keyboard also does nothing in MP.

To reiterate:

Old SVN build: All "media" keys worked as expected without changing any MP settings. I simply had to install the Niveus driver. Also works in MPC-HC and WMP.

1.1.0 RC2 & RC3 without configuring Remote in MP: Media keys don't work as expected. I see the following behavior:

Stop: Does nothing
    Volume Up/Down on Keyboard- Alters volume but does not bring up volume meter as + and - do.
    Mute: Works but doesn't bring up Mute logo, as pressing "m" does.

1.1.0 RC2 & RC3 using X10 "Other" Profile: This conflicts with the Niveus driver and sends multiple keypresses. If I disable the Niveus driver, it'll be inconvenient to use the remote in other programs. For example, I can use it to scroll and as a mouse in Windows. Here is the behavior I get if I disable the Niveus tool and use MP's X10 Other profile:

Pause: Pause/Unpause
    Vol Up/Vol Down- changes volume and brings up dialog
    Mute: Mutes volume and brings up mute icon
    Direction keys - work as expected, up/down will skip chapters, left/right skips by time intervals
    Chapter Up/Down - Does nothing

The Play/Pause key doesn't work even when pressed on my wired keyboard, so it just doesn't seem to be bound in MP. It works in MPC-HC and WMP.

My solution thus far has been to bind MP's keyboard shortcuts in the Niveus driver. MPC-HC seems to use the same shortcuts so the remote still works in both programs.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    If you did not configure the remote inside MediaPortal, then it has to work like a "keyboard" for the operating system.

As long as MP responds normally to a "real keyboard" (which it does here), I seen no way how support of that remote should have been broken in RC3. :confused:

jasonwc

Portal Pro
    July 4, 2009
    Home Country
    If you did not configure the remote inside MediaPortal, then it has to work like a "keyboard" for the operating system.

As long as MP responds normally to a "real keyboard" (which it does here), I seen no way how support of that remote should have been broken in RC3. :confused:

But it's not responding correclty. Even my KEYBOARD media keys don't work as expected. The "Play/Pause" button no longer pauses video, and the volume and mute buttons no longer bring up the GUI dialog/logo. But Space, +, -, and "m" do so. So, it seems part of the problem is that the media keys are no longer bound correctly.

When I bind the remote to the keyboard shortcuts, it works perfectly. So, the remote is sending the right key presses. MP is just ignoring them. That is why the remote continues to work in MPC-HC and WMP, I suppose. I haven't installed any other new software or updated the remote driver.

The media keys stopped working immediately after doing a fresh install of RC2. That's why the title of the thread mentions the media keys and not a remote problem. The issue exists even with a keyboard, which obviously needs no configuration.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

But it's not responding correclty. Even my KEYBOARD media keys don't work as expected. The "Play/Pause" button no longer pauses video, and the volume and mute buttons no longer bring up the GUI dialog/logo. But Space, +, -, and "m" do so. So, it seems part of the problem is that the media keys are no longer bound correctly.

When I bind the remote to the keyboard shortcuts, it works perfectly. So, the remote is sending the right key presses. MP is just ignoring them. That is why the remote continues to work in MPC-HC and WMP, I suppose. I haven't installed any other new software or updated the remote driver.

The media keys stopped working immediately after doing a fresh install of RC2. That's why the title of the thread mentions the media keys and not a remote problem. The issue exists even with a keyboard, which obviously needs no configuration.
    Aaahhh!
    Now I know what you mean. :)

I had a quick look over the changelog, and it seems that the last "remote" related change was done in RC1. :confused:
    I am not sure if I have a keyboard @ home with these "special buttons". Will take a look later if I can reproduce that issue.

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Media Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Vol etc.) no longer work in 1.1.0 RC2 or RC3

Hi,
    I am running a Dinovo Mini Keyboard with Mediakeys without problems. Did you check HID-Section of remote controles, because I experienced that this is reverted to unchecked sometimes by an update of MP....

cheers
    joystick

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: Media Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Vol etc.) no longer work in 1.1.0 RC2 or RC3

I am running a Dinovo Mini Keyboard with Mediakeys without problems. Did you check HID-Section of remote controles, because I experienced that this is reverted to unchecked sometimes by an update of MP....
    I had to enable this option to get the "special buttons" on my Keyboard to work.
    Nice finding!
    :D

@jasonwc
    Please try and enable the HID option in the remote section of MP Configuration.
    If this setting got dissabled by an update, then we have a small issue there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom