[other] Media Info dialog on all media (1 Viewer)

Zinu

Portal Pro
February 28, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It would be nice to have a shortcut that shows media info from whatever media you selected. As far as I know MediaInfo can show info about music and video files, so that's what it should be implemented in.

The idea is that with the press of a button a dialog shows up which contains all media info about that selected file, gathered by the MediaInfo dll. That way you can see info wherever you like.

el_gato

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Media Info dialog on all media

i agree with this suggestion. sometimes it would be nice to be able to check within mp what hd-codec or resolution is used or which bitrate is used in the playing mp3...

Zinu

Portal Pro
February 28, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Exactly. Or a filename, to remember you which subtitle you should download in MovPic or MyTVseries.

Zinu

Portal Pro
February 28, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Maybe any of the developers can share their opinion on this?

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I already thought about something like that but since we all have very limited time due to private schedule and some really nasty bugs i dropped the idea for now.

since we are in a feature freeze phase i think chances to make this happen are about zero:(

But probably there is a way to create a small process plugin which exposes the info from MediaInfo component as skin variables.
    So you just have to edit a skin file.

There are already some properties you can use
    Code:
          GUIPropertyManager.RemovePlayerProperties();
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.Title", Util.Utils.GetFilename(fileName));
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.File", Path.GetFileName(fileName));
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.Thumb", "");
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.VideoCodec", string.Empty);
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.VideoResolution", string.Empty);
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.AudioCodec", string.Empty);
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.AudioChannels", string.Empty);
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.HasSubtitles", string.Empty);
          GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.AspectRatio", string.Empty);

if ((g_Player.IsVideo || g_Player.IsDVD) && !g_Player.IsTV && g_Player.MediaInfo != null)
          {
            GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.VideoCodec", g_Player.MediaInfo.VideoCodec);
            GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.VideoResolution", g_Player.MediaInfo.VideoResolution);
            GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.AudioCodec", g_Player.MediaInfo.AudioCodec);
            GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.AudioChannels", g_Player.MediaInfo.AudioChannelsFriendly);
            GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.HasSubtitles", g_Player.MediaInfo.HasSubtitles.ToString());
            GUIPropertyManager.SetProperty("#Play.Current.AspectRatio", g_Player.MediaInfo.AspectRatio);
    The process plugin could just use "g_player.MediaInfo"... to expose further properties :D

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe someone willing to? :p I have about 0 knowlegde of coding haha

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Zinu,
    as discussed before it is possible to create this functionality with little effort.
    Actually I've seen only the problem, that a dialog does not have so many space to display all media informations or cover thumbs. Let us discuss other solutions and/or informations, which are important for you to display. After this, I'm able to implement this in the next weeks.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Great!

Well, I don't know about the technical part (how to display multiple lines), but I was thinking about displaying the main file info.

In my opionion, the strings that should be implemented are the following. Check out the included image to know what I'm talking about ;)
    General
    - Complete (fiile)name
    - Format
    - Filesize
    Video
    - Format
    - Codec ID
    - Width/height
    - Display aspect ratio
    - Framerate (for subtitle downloading it's pretty important)
    Audio
    - Format
    - Codec ID(/Hint)

What is your take on this?
    Video & audio info is already covered in the popular plugins, so I think those shouldn't be neccesary. Maybe you disagree on that?

Attachments

• mediainfo-display.png
      mediainfo-display.png
      225.6 KB

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Zinu,
    I agree to your suggestions and it is possible to display the listed properties.

Currently I'm thinking about the technical solution - and this is the hardest part. If we want use a dialog to display the properties, we must use the built-in functions. The count of lines are restricted and the size of this dialog is skin dependent. To create a user friendly output, some manual changes for skin files are required (and not all users can do that).
    A second solution is to open a separate fullscreen window and after a defined time period the window closed automatically and goes back to the latest window (e.g. MusicPlayingNow or Video Fullscreen). With this solution it is possible to display graphics, thumbs and more informations. Also, a skinner has the chance to adapt the output to the approriate skin.

In my opinion the best way is to implement both solutions (maybe with different remote control buttons) and the end user has the chance to configure the output format in the configuration dialog. What do you think about that?

Another question: Last year I've build a small "proof of concept" plugin to display a summary of my media catalog. In this summary you can see how much songs, videos, artists and files are in your media library. Is it also interesting for you or is this maybe a useful extension to this feature?

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I would like the solution with a pop-up menu the best, even tho this requires skin editings. My original idea wasn't a seperate plugin or a fullscreen replacement.
    I will leave the technical part totally up to you. Whatever you think is best and is easiest to implement.

The more extended, the better imo ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom