Media Portal, 2 monitors, 2 different resolutions? (1 Viewer)

siGGi_

Portal Member
September 22, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm currently planning my HTPC and have the idea, to control it via a small touchscreen that shows a clone of the portal. Also, I want to be able to control currently played music (so also see, which track is playing etc.) without turning on my LCD-TV. The problem is that a small touchscreen cannot display 1920x1080 resolution, which makes the cloning nearly impossible. Then I've read about a software called "Ultramon" that claims to make it possible, but limits its abilities when it comes to video playback (not totally, but they say it depends on the software...). Would MediaPortal work with either that or another software that can achieve such a "clone"? Or can I benefit from the fact, that MediaPortal runs in Direct3D fullscreen mode, so that my graphics card can render the portal twice (for each panel with different resolution)? Or do you have any other cool ideas?

Regards, siGGi_

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    MP doesnt have support for rendering on two different screens (thats possible only with clone mode). I'm not sure if there are some plugins that could draw something to the 2nd screen.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    there is a plugin that is designed for your situation. It's the Touchscreen plugin.
    It basically treats the secondary screen as an enhanced LCD display, like the type built into HTPC cases to display the names of media currently playing.
    It also handles touch screen inputs. I don't use it myself so can't comment too much on it, but I understand it works quite well.

Cheers,
    Marcus.

siGGi_

Portal Member
    September 22, 2008
    Marcus: Could you please help out with finding the plugin? Is it implemented in the basic distribution or is it an addon? I can't find it... I would be grateful, if you could give a link ;-)
    Your description of the plugin sounds awesome, probably exactly what I am looking for!

Edit: OK, I just realized, that the content of the German website differs from the English one. So now I have found the plugin you were talking about. It even offers a clone mode. Totally amazing, if it does what it promises :D

AdamNZ

Portal Member
    October 4, 2007
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Marcus: Could you please help out with finding the plugin? Is it implemented in the basic distribution or is it an addon? I can't find it... I would be grateful, if you could give a link ;-)
    Your description of the plugin sounds awesome, probably exactly what I am looking for!

Edit: OK, I just realized, that the content of the German website differs from the English one. So now I have found the plugin you were talking about. It even offers a clone mode. Totally amazing, if it does what it promises :D

Could you show me the link to this please?

AdamNZ

Portal Member
    October 4, 2007
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Marcus: Could you please help out with finding the plugin? Is it implemented in the basic distribution or is it an addon? I can't find it... I would be grateful, if you could give a link ;-)

Thanks!

tomo85

April 23, 2007
    similar

I'm doing something similar but having problems with gettin the touchscreen to work on correct display as its an rs232 controlled one from industrial touchscreen company few years ago.

But yeh the touchscreen plugin is great, gonna do some changing round with it if i can though get the interface to something i like a bit more :D

But yeah to let you know what my set up is, im using a 15" lcd with touchscreen panel mounted on top ( these are fitted into my wall with rest of machine) which has the main interface displayed on my 19" lcd on the cantalever arm.

I'll be doing write up n pictures soon for in projects section.

PussyWagon

Portal Pro
    August 2, 2008
    I'm doing something similar but having problems with gettin the touchscreen to work on correct display as its an rs232 controlled one from industrial touchscreen company few years ago.

But yeh the touchscreen plugin is great, gonna do some changing round with it if i can though get the interface to something i like a bit more :D

But yeah to let you know what my set up is, im using a 15" lcd with touchscreen panel mounted on top ( these are fitted into my wall with rest of machine) which has the main interface displayed on my 19" lcd on the cantalever arm.

I'll be doing write up n pictures soon for in projects section.

Are you using the Touch Screen plugin with clone mode? And if, have you got it work?
    I have been playing around with this plugin for a while to use it the same way as you, 15" Touch screen (USB) and Projection screen. But I cant get it to work propertly. When using clone mode i have it showing exactly same view as my projection screen and the Touch Screen works but the cpu load goes to nearly 50%. Furthermore the mouse is freezing every 2 seconds for 0,5sec which makes it unuseable as the mouse clicks not is registrated in this "freeze" time... :(

Im now in contact with one guy here in MediaPortal forum who is helping me to troubleshooting this bug and hopefully will fix it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom