Media Portal deleted my movies! (1 Viewer)

deck.hazen

Portal Member
March 30, 2011
I installed the program as directed and opened the configuration icon - I selected a folder with my current months titles - titles that have taken me a MONTH to collect (47 titles in this folder). When I selected this folder it vanished along with all 47 titles - as far as I can tell THEY ARE ALL GONE! thanks to Media Portal! So PLEASE DIE I will never touch your software again.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is extremely unlikely that MP will have deleted anything but thanks for such a helpful first post.

if you seriously want help that some more details might help

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    One of my friend had the same problem with his htpc, it seem that during browsing folder remote send sometime delete command. The first time his wife deleted a big folder he was very angry agains her but after tests we do the same thing, just need to browse folders. I modify his linux NAS to share as "read only". He made now access to his NAS by FTP. He also leave MP for problems like that. So I can understand you deck.hazen.

I don't remember the model of his case, I will ask him.

Edit :

it was a long time ago, he don't remember, sorry. But in his case the files has been deleted and not moved ;-)

And yes MS ask confirmation to delete but it was like MP received many many keyboards keys, if I remember I think to a bug in the remote software, not in MP but the result was the same.

deck.hazen

Portal Member
    March 30, 2011
    I'm still very pissed off and extremely thankful I didn't enter the folder containing my entire collection - that was a months worth of work in time and money gone in a flash. I've recovered everything I can from my recycle bin (just bits a pieces, not my "AA_recent" folder that held the 47 titles) and I'm now running "recover my files" on that drive - a 6Tb RAID array - to see if I can find more.

I will never use your software, but if you would like more information I'm willing to help if it will prevent this from happening to someone else - what information would you like to know? - I have left everything just as it was and I have the file I downloaded to do the installation.

- Deck

I've uploaded the file I used to install the very destructive Media Portal software. You can find it at: http://www.hazen.co.nz/~adhazen6/MediaPortalSetup_1.1.3.bad just change the suffice back to exe - you're welcome to download it - just don't feed it anything you want to save.

-- Deck

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I also have never seen MediaPortal deleting something without my request.

Do you still have the log files available?
    Have you googled for a recovery tool that might be able to retrieve all or some off your missing files?

deck.hazen

Portal Member
    March 30, 2011
    where would I find the log files?

and yes, I'm 7 hours into a sweep using "Recover my files" - I've got 87 hits but I won't know if they are the ones I'm after until the sweep concludes in another 6 hours or so.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have been using MP for over half a decade now and never had something deleted (and most certainly not with a stable version). To my knowledge there isn't even any function that would remove/rename/move your physical files on the harddisk.

As jameson_uk said, it would be very helpful if you told us what excactly you did when this happened? Did you add your folder in the "Video Folders" section? Did you start a database scan? Did you have any additional plugins installed?

Log files would be hugely helpful (just rar the whole "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log" folder and upload it.

jameson_uk: The uploaded file has the same MD5 hash as the MediaPortal 1.1.3 setup downloaded from the homepage.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    As far as i'm aware only the recorded TV section has the ability to delete files (but certainly not an entire folder). Which section in configuration did you put the path to your folder in?

Edit: Are you sure you didn't accidentally drag the folder to another location on the hard drive? (this is on the standard Microsoft browse window). This is quite easy to do, especially if you're using VNC or remote desktop.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I have been using MP for over half a decade now and never had something deleted (and most certainly not with a stable version). To my knowledge there isn't even any function that would remove/rename/move your physical files on the harddisk.

As jameson_uk said, it would be very helpful if you told us what excactly you did when this happened? Did you add your folder in the "Video Folders" section? Did you start a database scan? Did you have any additional plugins installed?

Log files would be hugely helpful (just rar the whole "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log" folder and upload it.

@jameson_uk: The uploaded file has the same MD5 hash as the MediaPortal 1.1.3 setup downloaded from the homepage.

Yes, it can be deleted (files or even whole folder) but that must be enabled in settings and after you can delete selected item/folder by pressing 0 or with context menu (but MP will ask you to confirm that) and you must use share view for that.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
      ScreenShot001.jpg
      18 KB
    • ScreenShot002.jpg
      ScreenShot002.jpg
      22.8 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom