Media Portal does not play certain 1080p movies, but works completely fine in MPC-HC. (1 Viewer)

SarahJ

August 13, 2010
Hi guys,

I start using Media Portal a while ago, and absolutely love it. It's been such a learning curve but I'm really happy it's finally starting to come together nicely.

I'm having a really annoying problem on Media Portal. Most 1080p content works fantastic, including dxva and DTS-HD. However, I have several movies that when clicked on, Media Portal goes black for a moment, then returns to the previous screen without playing.

So far, this only happens to the odd 1080p movie in my collection. Two movies that this happens to are included below, Pan's Labyrinth and The Matrix (two of my all time favourites! Luckily the Notebook doesn't have this problem!).

I have included the GraphEdit screenshot, and also saved the .grf files in the zip file attached.

I've taken a log file as instructed in the FAQ and uploaded it.

This is what I have looked at so far.

• ALL movies work fine when played in MPC-HC , including Pan's Labyrinth and The Matrix. HD Audio BitStreaming also works without a hitch (which was another drama!)
• This happens in either Moving Pictures or Watch Videos, using either StreamedMP or the default blue skin.
• I have tried disabling DXVA in FFDSHOW in, but I get the same problem.
• I'm using SAF 5.0 experimental, latest version from this thread here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...xperimental-based-ffdshow-dxva-decoder-77591/

I'm really not sure what it could be. Please help me out! Let me know if you need any more information.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 (final release)
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7
CPU Type: AMD Phenom 6 core (noisy!)
HDD: Host drive is a 320GB Western digital SATA1 7200rpm
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
Video Card: onboard 3200 is DISABLED!!. I installed a HIS ATI HD5700.
Video Card Driver: 10.5
Sound Card: On the HIS ATI 5700. Realtek HDMI output.
Sound Card AC3: Not sure?
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.6121 (24/05/2010)
MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF 5.0 experimental (FFDSHOW)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF 5.0 experimental (FFDSHOW)
h.264 Video Codec: SAF 5.0 experimental (FFDSHOW)
HTPC Case: Old school Antec
Cooling: one case fan and a CPU fan
Power Supply: 650 watt Antec TruePower something or other
Remote: Standard Microsoft MCE remote
TV: Samsung 52 inch LCD (LN52A650)
TV - HTPC Connection: TV > HDMI > Pioneer VSX-LX60 receiver > HDMI > HTPC.

Attachments

• matrix-graph.png
    matrix-graph.png
    76.4 KB
  • pans-graph.png
    pans-graph.png
    102.8 KB
  • graphs.zip
    3.2 KB

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Re: Media Portal does not play certain 1080p movies, but works completely fine in MPC

I dunno why but in ffdshow audio decoder try to uncheck passthrough for dts (maybe even dts-hd). That works for me and even though you uncheck passthrough for those it will still pass the audio :)

See if it makes a difference.

regards
Jacob

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Re: Media Portal does not play certain 1080p movies, but works completely fine in MPC

I suggest that you post your problem in the SAF5-thread. Many people are very happy with SAF (and other codec packs), but as it changes a lot of filters/filter merrits etc (I believe SAF even removes some), it might cause some problems.

btw: Your CPU is not noisy. No CPU is. It's the fan :)

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

You can test your coded setup easily - if your videos play in Graphstudio (installed by SAF), you coded setup are ok. If the play in Graphstudio and not in MePo = must be MePo problem (settings, some other issue, no idea...)

Only strange thing i noticed from your log:

2010-08-13 17:07:10.486044 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Added filter: WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO to graph

Try to disable passthrough

I suggest that you post your problem in the SAF5-thread. Many people are very happy with SAF (and other codec packs), but as it changes a lot of filters/filter merrits etc (I believe SAF even removes some), it might cause some problems.

Just for info:

SAF5 didnt remove any system filters - except for vista audio decoder (Vista only) which was causing lot of troubles, and this filter is reregistered durning SAF uninstall.

And about merrit change? SAF only change merit for one decoder (PDVD in *unlocked* SAF).

SarahJ

August 13, 2010

FIXED :)

Thanks all for the responses guys, great to see three good suggestions and tips already after only a few hours :)

mylle: You got me thinking along the right track. I did as you said within FFDShow by unchecking all the boxes for all pass through options, and I got further than before. It would play, but would jitter and eventually crashed. However it got me further than what I did previously.

Spragleknas - thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to do that next time :)

hoborg - behold the creator! lol. Thanks for that - you got me on the right track. The reason I added WMA9Pro over SPIDF is because I have some WMV-HD content with WMA9pro 5.1 audio tracks. Without this filter enabled, I wouldn't be able to play these in 5.1 surround (my receiver decodes wma9pro).

However, when I went to try and disable it, I found another filter was also active - FFDShow audio. Which is kinda, well, unnecessary I suppose. I removed both, tested, and it's fixed. WMA9Pro 5.1 audio doesn't pass through the amp, so I went back in and re-added wma9pro spidf filter.

Very, very happy :) thanks guys for the help again.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

hoborg - behold the creator! lol. Thanks for that - you got me on the right track. The reason I added WMA9Pro over SPIDF is because I have some WMV-HD content with WMA9pro 5.1 audio tracks. Without this filter enabled, I wouldn't be able to play these in 5.1 surround (my receiver decodes wma9pro).

However, when I went to try and disable it, I found another filter was also active - FFDShow audio. Which is kinda, well, unnecessary I suppose. I removed both, tested, and it's fixed. WMA9Pro 5.1 audio doesn't pass through the amp, so I went back in and re-added wma9pro spidf filter.

I think you can have 5.1 even from WMA9 - that is why you should have FFDShow audio decoder in MePo postprocessing (MePo ignoring system setting, this decoder needs to be added manually - graphs is builded correctly in Graphstudio/GB-PVR, but not in MePo). If you open file with 5.1 WMA, it is decoded to 5.1 PCM and FFDShow audio decoder reencode it "on the fly" to 5.1 AC3 and passthrough it. It is working this way for all 5.1"not passthough compatible" media, like FLAC and AAC.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

i dont use ffdshow for HD content

try coreavc 2.0(for x264/h264) and if ur using Win7 use MS DTV video decoder(for mpeg2)
    and mpc - mpa audio decoder for audio(not sure about the DTSHD MA though)

ronzelver

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 13, 2008
    Sittard
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

I think you can have 5.1 even from WMA9 - that is why you should have FFDShow audio decoder in MePo postprocessing (MePo ignoring system setting, this decoder needs to be added manually - graphs is builded correctly in Graphstudio/GB-PVR, but not in MePo). If you open file with 5.1 WMA, it is decoded to 5.1 PCM and FFDShow audio decoder reencode it "on the fly" to 5.1 AC3 and passthrough it. It is working this way for all 5.1"not passthough compatible" media, like FLAC and AAC.

I have a similar issue with HD mkv's with dual audio streams, they play fine in GraphStudio but not inside MP.
    I am using SAF5 (latest package) unlocked with all the default settings (as described in the SAF5 TS), i.e. FFDSHow video + audio decoders. I am using SP/DIF output to my surround system.
    As far as I know it only happens with these dual (multiple) audio stream files.
    So, I have to add manually the FFDShow audio decoder in MP postprocessing?!?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Just for info:

SAF5 didnt remove any system filters - except for vista audio decoder (Vista only) which was causing lot of troubles, and this filter is reregistered durning SAF uninstall.

And about merrit change? SAF only change merit for one decoder (PDVD in *unlocked* SAF).
    Just a FYI: My post was not intended as criticism of SAF in any way. I've installed it (SAF4) on several HTPCs, and think it makes HTPC-life a lot easier for novice users, and I am grateful for the work you've been doing!

SarahJ

August 13, 2010

Hi Hoborg, thanks for the info.

So are you saying that I actually need to have FFDShow audio decoder enabled in MePo post processing? I've just gone and re-added it again, and I'm now getting the same problem. It seems that having FFDShow audio decoder selected here is the cause of the original problem in the thread. As soon as I remove it, it works as expected for all HD content.

Are we talking about the same thing? I have put a screenshot in below. I get the problem with or without WMA9Pro selected.

Attachments

• mepo-ffdshow.png
      mepo-ffdshow.png
      32.2 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom