Media Portal effecitvely as my sole operating system? Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

Mr Pipps

Portal Member
December 29, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to finish building a media pc specifically for playing music on my hifi. I have been recommended Media Portal and I would like to use it.

Is is possible to configure Windows XP and Media Portal so that the only program which loads from startup is Media Portal?

This is how I would like my media pc to operate. No Win XP whatsoever - just Media Portal from start to finish.

Please advise.

Thanks

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
I guess you could use mediaportal as a shell(tho I'm not sure how well it works), meaning explorer wont load at all. You would only see the winxp startup screen, but that is possible to change to one that shows the MP logo. I think both of these things are described in the mediaportal wiki, you find the link on the front page.

Mr Pipps

Portal Member
December 29, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
That is incredibly helpful - thank you. I will now look at the MediaPortal wiki. :)

booba5185

Portal Pro
April 16, 2007
i have tried this, but it doesn't quite work to well, it involves a registry entry to change the sole program from explorer.exe to mediaportal.exe, and as far as the log on screen, goto start ->run-> msconfig (enter) then goto the boot.ini tab, put a check in noguiboot and thee ya go.

It's been awhile since i tried this, i cant remember what the exact problem is, if i remember right, it was a problem with the codecs knowing when to open or which codec to open I THINK. hope this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom