Media Portal for PS3? (1 Viewer)

Vlemmix

November 13, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It seems it is quite easy to get Linux running on the PS3 ( http://www.powerdeveloper.org/playstation.php ). Media Portal on a PC is nice, but why build an expensive PC based HD-capable box you could do it on a PS3? Running the backend and frontend on the PS3, you would need to connect an external tuner like http://www.digital-everywhere.com/cms/en/index.php to the PS3. You could also have a cheap PC with the tuner as the backend, and the PS3 as a HD capable frontend near your TV.

Yes, it's linux, not windows... But much of the XBMC code came from the linux universe, right?

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Take a look on thread in the forum about Windows vs Linux for MP.

But, resuming, if you want Linux, it's better look for solutions that already exist in that platform (like Myth). MP is haveally based on Windows technologies like DirectX and .Net so porting is not trivial.

And no, XBMC is not based on Linux. Is haveally based in C and DirectX, just like MP.

Julio

Vlemmix

November 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ah, I see. I think I missed a lot of the xbmc/mp developments, but thought it was based on a number of linux based components. Seems with the heavy .net and Direct* it's not.

Well, never used Myth, but some ppl will most probably port or start on some PS3Linux based work.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    XBMC uses code from MPlayer IIRC, that maybe where you got the idea from.

There's a MP to linux porting effort going on, although they need more developers and its still in its infancy.

do a search for a thread with the keywords: practical way port linux.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom