Media Portal lastest relase - nice fix (1 Viewer)

warwon

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hello,

Not sure if this was intended but with the lastest release of Media Portal almost everything has fixed it's self.

Rather strange, in a good way.

Firefly remote, had a profile for Media Portal in the older version. Didn't work very well.

Once I uninstalled and install the latest stable build of Media Portal the profile I had create for MP from Firefly worked perfect.

Such as the ability to fast forward, rewind, play, stop, etc.

Among that was a few other fixes that just correct themselves.

Still I can't figure out how to bring up the menu to download new information such as IMBD for new movies that I've added to my existing movie data-base without searching for my mouse, or using the mouse feature on the firefly. -- Minor issue mostly my fault

Also I noticed that it's still very hard to get the TV application to function at all, rather strange that I can't get any the TV guide software to work.

The Zap2it plugin for a Canadian base Cable company should work.

But when I run the plugin, it downloads the guide (Often times out), and then gives me a option to save.

Well even if I'm able to save the configuration for my lineup for Media portal if it doesn't timeout saving the data. When I run Media Portal it states for me to re-enter my user name and password as they aren't valid even through I know they were correctly entered.

So the easier was for me to fix this was to remove the whole TV plugin, and the Zap2it plugin, and make a link inside of the Media Portal to Beyond TV which makes the watching TV part easy.

Media Portal makes everything so much easier in the living room, since I stopped using the Media Center before hand in favor of the Xbox 360 media extender, until Microsoft somehow managed to break that.

So now I went back reconfigured my Media Center back into Windows XP, I had a hybrid XP/MCE system I created. Anyways I was able to restore the full functions of my media center via s-video to my standard SD, with a 6-channel direct sound connection to my 5.1 system.

So now I'm running Media Portal, and Beyond TV for the basic functions of my media center, the Xbox 360 as a dvd player (cause of the Component connections and optical sound connection).

It's a great setup, biggest flaws are the s-video connection (older TV) can't figure a solution to this, 6-channel direct ( I can't tell if this is DD 5.1 or just a werid mixture, as the THX sound tests goto the left and right front channels, and also the back channels are correct)

Anyways Media Portal is closing that bridge for having a PVR device in the living room, and we also run Beyond TV link for the computer in the bedroom to play TV over the network.

I have tried the Media Portal Server application, and that hasn't worked as of yet.

Next biggest thing I want to get ready is a ATSC based tuner card so I can get my digital channels.

Media Portal is great, simply put you can't beat what it offer or what the future holds.

Sure it has a few issues, and there's stuff I like to see and that will come either when I get around to it or someone does it for me.

Things I like to see added, is better support for Canadian users, very lacking in
this area. Most Americans aren't even sure where we are ;) That is regards to settings up Weather, TV guide, and a few other settings.

I'm surprised no one has a youtube/google video plugin.

I would like to see a way of having the Video section goto the data first, then the movie.

Example, as I currently have it, when you goto the genre then pick the movie. It starts to play.

What I would like to see is all the information about the movie first, options to download data if it's not there, then a play button, then an add to play list button.

As I'm using a remote this would make things simpler.

The last thing would be the ability to edit the actually movie information, or music while in media portal (i.e make the necessary changes without ever leaving media portal)

I hate having to leave media portal and try to make changes in the configuration options, as it's hard to see those options in those menus on a SD TV.

The last issue is we have been having is that the resume feature is a hit or miss, as some times it plays where we last left off, and some times the video starts at the start again.

Thats about all I have to say, I can't wait to get home and play around with it some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom