Media portal takes a long time to launch IF you have networked media locations (1 Viewer)

shadowze

Portal Member
January 19, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin: standard
Windows Version: Win7 64

Hi,
Media portal now takes about 1 min or longer to launch. This is because some of the video locations
are on network NAS drives and the NAS has a power saving feature where it switches off the drives
if no one is using them.
Any chance we could have media portal start-up the way it used to (as in it just starts up without mucking about)

Regards

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Re: Media portal takes 1 min to launch IF you have networked media locations

When you say "the way it used to" are you referring to a previous version of MediaPortal, or to when you had the video files stored in a different location?

shadowze

Portal Member
    January 19, 2011
    Home Country

sorry, refering to earlier version of media portal

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country

I doubt this would have been intentionally changed (although I may be wrong).

It might be worth posting your logs, then people will be able to help you more.

Robbo100

shadowze

Portal Member
    January 19, 2011
    Home Country

I will get some logs posted later tonight

Last night I did some more testing

IF the Nas drives are spun up and running , media portal starts straight away

IF the Nas drives are spun down in power saving mode as soon as you start media portal I can
    hear the drives start to spin up about 40-60 seconds later media portal finishes starting up

It NEVER used to do this in previous versions , someone has stuck some new code in
    that I think it checks the folders you have set-up in the configuration (ie videos / music etc)

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Setup "local" (on a HDD in machine itself) media folder locations for Videos, Music, and Pictures.

In MP-Config, make them the "defaults" (with check mark).

That's what I do to fix the problem.

shadowze

Portal Member
    January 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Nice suggestion to work around this bug , I aint got any local media to share :(
    That is the whole point of having One central NAS repository for all my media being shared throughout the house

Any word from some one offical when they will fix this bug ?

It is only a recent change surely someone could remove the offending code ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi shadowze

Any word from some one offical when they will fix this bug ?

It is only a recent change surely someone could remove the offending code ?
    I think it would be helpful to get other people to confirm the issue and then we can start looking at the code. The delay that you're talking about seems to be here:

2011-12-16 20:17:20.579101 [Info.][FilterChecker(5)]: FilterChecker: Found TsReader.ax from 21/07/2011 located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\TsReader.ax
    2011-12-16 20:17:21.080078 [Info.][FilterChecker(5)]: FilterChecker: Found quartz.dll from 28/02/2011 located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\quartz.dll
    2011-12-16 20:17:21.081054 [Info.][FilterChecker(5)]: FilterChecker: Version of installed quartz.dll: 6.6.7600.16385
    2011-12-16 20:17:50.698242 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: xml:C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Skin\DefaultWide\videoOSD.xml image id:350 width:0 height:0 gfx:-

That is smack bang in the middle of skin loading. Seems a funny place for MP to be trying to spin up network attached storage. The first thing I would try is to delete the Cache folder in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal and see if that makes any difference. Note that is a hidden folder so paste the path into the address bar in Windows explorer or enable viewing of hidden and system files and folders.

mm

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Nice suggestion to work around this bug , I aint got any local media to share :(

Just setup those 3 folders and put one little "test" file in each. Also comes in handy to test MP if you have having network trouble (MP still has some media to play).

Windows always takes a while for network shares to appear and start working (especially if the machine was off). I think it has something to do with the Browse Master and the nature of Windows Peer-To-Peer networking. I think you need a real Domain Server to side-step this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom