[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) and MediaPortal 2 (2 Viewers)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    today i saw some videos of the meedios alpha and i have to admit that it looks sexy as hell and i'm really impressed.
    Medioos TV Shows
    Meedios Movies
    Meedios Music

i hope mp2 will look as nice as meedios does in those preview videos. Go Go Go ;-)

Don't be fooled by the slick user interface. It looks great, but the backend is a nightmare. MeediOS might be improved from Meedio, but from a quick look on the MeedioS forums, the plugins are still the same and that's where you end up spending hours and hours and hours. I spent years with Meedio and ended up spending about 9 hours each week fiddling with it, because the plugin authors would keep changing, tweaking, fixing/breaking and updating their plugins constantly. Sometimes one update would break others, or introduce new strangeness or bugs. Each plugin author has different points of view on how configuration should work, and even the syntax for doing things like importing can be different between plugins - like, for example, one might need you to specify "*.avi, *.mov, *.mpg" and another will need it as "*.avi;*.mov;*.mpg". But neither would tell you which is correct or produce an error, and you'd end up trolling through the forums for hours working out each little problem.

Nice front end. But unless you like constant fiddling with micro-techie-detail little bits all the time, "ferget it!"

Just my user experience. YMMV.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Don't be fooled by the slick user interface. It looks great, but the backend is a nightmare. MeediOS might be improved from Meedio, but from a quick look on the MeedioS forums, the plugins are still the same and that's where you end up spending hours and hours and hours. I spent years with Meedio and ended up spending about 9 hours each week fiddling with it, because the plugin authors would keep changing, tweaking, fixing/breaking and updating their plugins constantly. Sometimes one update would break others, or introduce new strangeness or bugs. Each plugin author has different points of view on how configuration should work, and even the syntax for doing things like importing can be different between plugins - like, for example, one might need you to specify "*.avi, *.mov, *.mpg" and another will need it as "*.avi;*.mov;*.mpg". But neither would tell you which is correct or produce an error, and you'd end up trolling through the forums for hours working out each little problem.

Nice front end. But unless you like constant fiddling with micro-techie-detail little bits all the time, "ferget it!"

Indeed the focus in the MP-II development is put to a stable, consistent, easy-maintainable system. I don't know the code of our competitors, but I hope the time we're "loosing" at the moment in comparison with other open source MediaCenter software projects will pay off in the future when it comes to maintainance.

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i'm fine with mp2 taking some more time. i just wanted to show what others are doing and hope to see similar looks on mp2.
    The most important thing is a solid foundation to build on and even if you need much longer than expected i'm fine with it as long as the final product rocks.
    I'm fine with mp1, it's a great product and staying with mp for some additional time will still be a pleasure :)

Keep up your good work

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

I think Meedios will change quite a bit over the next milestones. As far as I can see from the roadmap they're currently working on MS2, and they're still building the platforum. It seems that it'll get better when they complete MS3, and then have a userfriendly program at MS4 (v 1.0)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i'm fine with mp2 taking some more time. i just wanted to show what others are doing and hope to see similar looks on mp2.
    The most important thing is a solid foundation to build on and even if you need much longer than expected i'm fine with it as long as the final product rocks.
    I'm fine with mp1, it's a great product and staying with mp for some additional time will still be a pleasure :)

Keep up your good work

You should donate a bit then, I'm sure every $5+ helps and similar commercial software with this much support would cost a lot of money.

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think Meedios will change quite a bit over the next milestones. As far as I can see from the roadmap they're currently working on MS2, and they're still building the platforum. It seems that it'll get better when they complete MS3, and then have a userfriendly program at MS4 (v 1.0)
    Usually you hope the base code does not change too much during milestone builds....

sergiocos

Portal Pro
    March 31, 2009
    Targoviste
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    How about the skin engine in MP-II? I admit I'm drooling looking at the XBMC skins and I hope MP-II will bring us some nice surprises in that area :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Usually you hope the base code does not change too much during milestone builds....

Depends what the specific developers mean with the milestones. The meaning can always vary between different projects. Just look MediaPortal's Release Canditates... even new features have been creeping in during RC stages :(

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was mainly referring to the fact that Meedios' plugin API appears to change frequently, an 'modifying release external APIs' is an unforgiveable curse in software engineering ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom