Mediaportal & Antimalware Service High CPU issue (1 Viewer)

DHosein

Portal Member
January 2, 2016
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Country flag
I've been using MP1 on a dedicated HTPC for some years now, but recently I'm struggling the software to work. Whenever MP1 runs now, CPU usage on the machine immediately maxes out at 100% with Mediaportal and Antimalware Service fightng constantly and bringing the machine to a complete halt.
This isn't for an install, this is normal running of the latest version of MP1. The high CPU usage doesn't drop over time... after 25 minutes, task manager still shows both fighting for resource.
Anti-virus on the PC is either Avast or AVG (I've tried both... one at a time) with every Windows Defender/Security option I can find disabled
I'm out of ideas... can anyone help?

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Country flag
I would scan the MP1 folders and if nothing shows up then exclude the MP1 folders from scanning in the antivirus program.

DHosein

Portal Member
January 2, 2016
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Country flag
Managed to get the Antimalware to stop taking up so much CPU... but that's actually made things worse. Now mediaportal steals the whole CPU for itself... gets as far as 'loading windows plugins' on the startup and then goes no further, but still holds the CPU.
I've tried disabling plugins in the configuration to see if I can figure out if one of the plugins is causing the problem, but soon as I load MP.. everything gets enabled again.

spassiger

Portal Member
February 21, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Country flag
Since a few days I have a similar problem like DHosein: When running MediaPortal (32 Bit) MediaPortal.exe, the Microsoft Antimalware Service Executable starts to use about 20 % of CPU load. Sometimes it grabs a huge amount of RAM, too, like 1,5 GB (normally about 300 MB). This doesn't stop until I manually disable the realtime antivirus protection or until I close MediaPortal.exe. Without a running Antimalware or MediaPortal, the CPU usage goes back to 0 %. I have already tried to exclude the process MediaPortal.exe and the folders C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal in the configuration of Microsoft Antivirus, but this didn't help. Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?

I didn't have to start a video recording or a TV channel in MediaPortal, it's enough to start the application and stay on the home screen.

Attachments

• Task manager with Antimalware Service Executable and MediaPortal.png
    Task manager with Antimalware Service Executable and MediaPortal.png
    29.4 KB

spassiger

Portal Member
February 21, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Country flag
The Microsoft Antimalware Service Executable got updated on July 9 (version 4.18.2106.6-0) and it seems to me that this update fixed the issue with MediaPortal. The CPU load of the antimalware service is near 0% even if the MediaPortal application is running.

Users who are viewing this thread