Mediaportal as high-quality HTPC? (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
It seems to me that a high percentage of the users/devs of MP use it primarily as a "media center/jukebox" solution, perhaps connecting it to a PC screen or CRT tv for playback and organisation of large music/movie collections as well as Tivo-like functionality.

I`d like to hear from "audiophile/videophile" users that have it connected to expensive sound systems and flat-screens/projectors. Do you get the best possible quality using MP or other programs?

I am thinking about:
*HD playback. Hardware-accelerated?
*video scaling/noise masking. FFD-show? Settings?
*solutions for content-dynamic framerate
*solutions for audio/video synch (ReClock?)
*bit-accurate audio playback (foobar2000?)
*room correction (concolver plugins?)

best regards
Knut Inge

( www.avforum.com for things like this)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, you'll need a hand-picked graphic card and the best mpeg de-coder just to come close to an faroudja deinterlacer in high-end products.

Currently I'm not satisfied with DVD quality as some bugs (Navigator) restrict you to use the open source Mpeg2Dec codec.

All other parts like TV works very well.
    P.S.: I'm using foobar2000 as audio player plugin..

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    knutinh said:
    I`d like to hear from "audiophile/videophile" users that have it connected to expensive sound systems and flat-screens/projectors. Do you get the best possible quality using MP or other programs?
    I don't consider myself as an "audiophile/videophile", but I do strive to get the best possible audio and video without spending a fortune. I have tried many, many different software and hardware combinations, and I am absolutely delighted with MediaPortal.

I am using MediaPortal for all my TV, DVD, CD, video etc - feeding the output to a DLP projector and to a sophisticated (active crossovers, multiple power amplifiers) 5.1 channel audio setup and the results are superb!

For video, I just use an ATI 9550 with nVIDIA's PureVideo decoder, and once it is setup correctly, it is excellent. Better than any fancy Faroudja equipped DVD player or Projector that I have tried.

So, my experience is that you can get superb results from MediaPortal with the right combination of decoders, video card and display device. Certainly as good, or better, than is possible with conventional "HiFi" pieces. And a lot more convenient, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom