Ongoing Mediaportal HTPC Media "Extender" to run MP Client (1 Viewer)

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi all,

My theatre room has my HTPC where I'm running TVServer/MP, I will eventually be moving TVServer to a standalone server doing TVserver, filesharing, on a RAID0+1 array. However, in a few weeks I'll be moving my wife's 50" SXRD A3000 to our upstairs. So I'm trying to build a future "friendly" (they're never futureproof) HTPC for streaming TV, Movies, etc using Mediaportal to out to my 1080p SXRD upstairs.

My requirements:
    1. Cheap as possible <$300
    2. Reasonably quiet
    3. As little power consumption as possible
    4. 1080p output via HDMI
    5. multichannel LPCM via HDMI (for Blu-ray when drives get below $100)

Current parts I've specced out:

Mobo: Asus M3N78-EMH HDMI (Nvidia 8200 chipset) - ~$100
    Case: In-Win BL640 (Not out yet in NA may have to settle on BL631) - ~$55
    CPU: AMD BE-2400 (2.3Ghz dual core 45W low power CPU) ~$100
    RAM: 1GB DDR2-6400 generic ~30
    HD: Have something lying around. Don't need large or fast drive since most activity will be over network
    DVD Drive: Again, recycle a drive for DVD playback.
    Total: ~$285

For Blu-ray, just need to throw in a LG Blu-ray drive but I have one in my main HTPC downstairs so it's not needed. TBH, I'd probably just rip Blu-ray to my server and stream it. Using a gigabit Wireless N WRT350N, was originally going to use N on this HTPC but cost for N adapter is not worth it, rather run the cable which is actually not too bad since it's along the same wall. My major concerns with this setup is whether the Mobo will boot on the PSU that comes with the BL640 case. Someone mentioned that their board didn't boot on a Seasonic S12 II 330. Was considering a Sempron Dual Core 2300+, but it looks like it won't be as power efficient and doesn't seem to be much cheaper. I think by the end of April you may be able to get away with ~$250 for the above setup using a Sempron dual core once prices settle.

I'd love to run diskless for heat/noise/geekiness purposes and I've been researching ATA over Ethernet. Unfortunately, there are no AoE targets for Windows and my server needs to be Windows for TVserver. I could run another server, however I don't want another server sucking electricity running all day, one's more than enough. Plan to run XPsp2 using nlite to strip unnecessary stuff out. So right now, I'm just waiting for the mobo and case to be released. According to prelim tests the above hardware should be able to play Blu-Ray/ H.264 1080p material without issues. I have no illusions that this will work properly day 1, but by the time I need these features I'm hoping the drivers/codecs mature enough to at least match what the prelim tests have shown.

TommySharp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey there, just wondering how you're getting on with this build?

Would it be possible to use a CF card for storage using the "1 xUltraDMA 133/100 " on the motherboard?

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey there, just wondering how you're getting on with this build?

Would it be possible to use a CF card for storage using the "1 xUltraDMA 133/100 " on the motherboard?

hi TommySharp,

I actually haven't started the build of the actual MP "extender" portion because the the Asus M3N78-EMH HDMI isn't out yet in Canada and the In-Win BL640 hasn't been released. The mobo should be out in the next few weeks, but I may have to settle on a BL631 for a case. I'd imagine a CF card would work, but I don't like the # read/write limitations for flash drives.

I've done quite a bit of testing with AoE for running diskless to see if it will be feasible, I'm still deciding on what to do. MP TVserver requires native Windows access to the DVB cards, hence VMWare guest Windows won't work. Linux VMWare guest is able to act as an AoE target fairly well, but I/O performance is pretty poor, around 25MBps. Native Linux AoE Target will do 50MBps in my testing on gigabit without jumbo frames. 50MBps is pretty close to my local disk access. Someone is however working on an AoE target for Windows, and so I'm thinking I may just run Windows 2003 Server on my server with VMWare linux guest for the time being until the AoE target is released. My other option was running Xen on a Intel VT-d mobo that would allow me to give PCI direct access to a windows guest OS, but again I'm probably going to see a I/O performance hit.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I couldn't find a BL640 case in all of North America. My friend that works at a computer shop was only able to get info that it would be a special order with minimum 300 units or something. I ended up with this fugly Foxconn DH839 case but it does the job. Disabled the stock fan as it's loud as hell and haven't got around to setting up AoE so it currently has an internal drive.

My setup:
    Giga-byte GA-M78SM-S2H (Nvidia 8200 chipset with HDMI onboard)
    2GB OCZ RAM (borrowed from another machine)
    AMD 4050e 2.1Ghz dual core CPU 45W TDP
    Foxconn DH839 case
    75GB HD I had lying around. Will eventually image this and boot off the network
    Windows XP SP3
    Mediaportal 1.0RC1
    dannyb0y's MPTrayMOD (with refresh rate mod)
    Solis66's Movie Database via folder names mod
    Changed the .xml file to put the Database and Thumbs path to my Movie repository server instead of local

TVServer server running on XPSP3 guest virtualized on CentOS 5.1 linux server running mdadm/lvm2/xfs for media serving.

This box suspends/wakes faster than my SXRD A3000 powers on, so I'm pretty happy with how snappy it runs. I need to test Blu-ray and 8ch LPCM out of the HDMI port in my theatre, but haven't had a chance. This box's purpose is for streaming for upstairs directly to the A3000, so I don't have surround and only using the TV's stereo speakers. I can take pics if anyone wants to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom