Mediaportal install won't even start on Win7 x64 (1 Viewer)

mattressfish

July 4, 2009
TV-Server Version: tried multiple versions
MediaPortal Version: tried multiple versions
MediaPortal Skin: n/a
Windows Version: Win 7 x64
CPU Type: Intel
HDD: SATA?
Memory: 8GB
Motherboard: Dont remember
Video Card: nnvidia
Video Card Driver: n/a
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3: no idea what that means
Sound Card Driver: n/a
1. TV Card: n/a
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

So, I know Windows 7 support is sketchy. However, I've searched and found threads that mention people getting it working on Windows 7. I also can't find a darn thing here or elsewhere on the internet about the error I'm getting.

When I try to run the installation (both MediaPortal_1.1_Alpha_Setup and MediaPortal_1.0.2_Setup), I get the following error:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64(64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher

The error makes it seem as if x64 isn't supported, when it clearly is (for Vista x64 anyway). I've tried to run both installs in Vista compatibility mode. I get no error, just this in the event log:

The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\Me\Desktop\MediaPortal_1.0.2_Setup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

So, did I read some of these threads wrong? Will Win7 x64 not work at all or am I somehow doing something wrong?

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can't say what's going wrong in your case but I can say that I have managed to successfully install MediaPortal 1.0.2 on both 64bit and 32bit versions of Windows 7.

I have had some issues which have usually been related to 3rd party apps. The most successful install has always been when MediaPortal is the first thing installed after installing Windows 7, after that and once it's been configured I can install 3rd party apps and all will be fine.

As an example, I had a problem on one of my machines where loading the MediaPortal configuration would get stuck on 'Adding filters section', uninstalling Skype solved the problem and afterwards I re-installed Skype and everything was fine.

mattressfish

July 4, 2009
    well thank you for the confirmation that it can be installed. i JUST built this box with RC1, it seems that I may have to rebuild it again. argh. this is what i get for running beta software.

I'll play around with it for awhile before I give up. Hopefully by then, someone else will post the exact way to fix it. :D

OH POST MERGE, SWEET! So here's one I didn't expect, but thought I post this for Googlers later. I use a download accelerator (Free Download Manager). Been using it for years, well it apparently has a huge problem with MediaPortal. I downloaded the Alpha with Firefox's internal downloader and the installer appears to be running fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom